To: overseers@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: remove mail-archives from ftp?
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 13:21:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 11:54:39AM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
>On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>>
>>>For whatever it's worth, I use these every couple of months.  It would
>>>be nice if they were still readable from a sourceware shell at least.
>>
>>Shell users can access the qmail archives at /qmail/lists-*.  Would
>>that be sufficient for your needs?
>
>There are parts of some lists' archives in the ftp archives that aren't
>in the qmail archives - in particular gcc messages 1-24899, gcc-help
>1-4299, gcc-patches 1-25999 appear to have been removed from the qmail
>archives at some point.

Yes.  This is a FAQ or at least a "Frequently Made Observation".  IIRC,
the loss was due to a disk crash.  However, no one has cared enough to
reproduce the html archives.

I can just move the ftp archives elsewhere and turn off their automatic
creation.  Then if some theoretical interested gcc person wants to
reproduce them in the web archives.  Or, you could get the archives from
Angela.

cgf