* problem with src repo?
@ 2008-04-17  1:03 Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2008-04-17  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Is there a problem here?

bje@helios:~/source/src/gdb$ cvs up
cvs update: cannot open directory /cvs/src/src/gdb/gnulib/aux: No such file or directory
cvs update: skipping directory gnulib/aux

Cheers, Ben

* Re: problem with src repo?
@ 2008-04-17  2:03 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2008-04-17  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Elliston; +Cc: overseers, Daniel Jacobowitz

Ben Elliston wrote:
> Is there a problem here?
>
> bje@helios:~/source/src/gdb$ cvs up
> cvs update: cannot open directory /cvs/src/src/gdb/gnulib/aux: No such file or directory
> cvs update: skipping directory gnulib/aux

Daniel Jacobowitz seems to have directly removed the directory from the
repository on the 15th. As you can see, this can break existing checkouts
and is normally a Bad Thing(tm) to do in CVS. I see there is a
~drow/saved-aux directory on sourceware.

Perhaps there is some reason, Daniel?

Jifl

* Re: problem with src repo?
@ 2008-04-17  2:32   ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2008-04-17  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: Ben Elliston, overseers

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 03:03:17AM +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>> bje@helios:~/source/src/gdb$ cvs up
>> cvs update: cannot open directory /cvs/src/src/gdb/gnulib/aux: No such file or directory
>> cvs update: skipping directory gnulib/aux
>
> Daniel Jacobowitz seems to have directly removed the directory from the
> repository on the 15th. As you can see, this can break existing checkouts
> and is normally a Bad Thing(tm) to do in CVS. I see there is a
> ~drow/saved-aux directory on sourceware.
>
> Perhaps there is some reason, Daniel?

Yes, this breakage is expected but still better than the alternative.
Its presence completely borks checkouts in existing versions of
Cygwin, and possibly native Windows versions of CVS too; AUX was a
special device in MS-DOS.  I wish I'd known about that before I
checked it in in the first place.

Leaving the directory there even with no live files is just as
bad (ref. how CVS handles -P, by creating and deleting empty
directories).

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery