To: overseers@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Cygwin lists spam filters
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 14:33:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 08:35:58AM -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
>> [...]
>> I copied an example of this bounce to sourceware.org:~/corinna/Message01.eml
>> [...]
>
>In this case, it appears that the sa-update automatically-downloaded
>spam fingerprint regexps are misfiring, something about the presence
>of the word "replacement" in the body.  Chris, can we make do without
>sa-update etc.?

No.  FYI, GARBLED_SUBJECT, GARBLED_FROM, and SPAM_BODY are three of a
vast array of custom rules.  This isn't an issue with sa-update
misfiring.

At the risk of sounding hostile, I want to again stress, as I used to
repeatedly in the cygwin list, that if there are email problems they
should go to postmaster not overseers and they should include, if
possible, at a minimum a (possibly encoded) copy of the email.  Cygwin
mailing lists are not different than any other mailing list sponsored by
this site.  There is no need to engage the overseers community when
there is a problem.

I deal with email issues several times a week.  It's important to deal
with them as close to when they occur as possible.  Sending second-hand
email here rather than to sourceware asking for changes to be made in
what might be the problem adds delay to the process.

I haven't stopped being a sysadmin on sourceware so I continue to deal
with mailing list issues regardless of whether they relate to the Red
Hat Cygwin project or the free foftware gcc project.  So, I'll look into
correcting the issues found in these email messages like I always do.