* newer versions of python and git on sourceware?
@ 2014-12-26 13:32 Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2014-12-26 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hello,

I have been adapting AdaCore's git hooks, the scripts we use as hooks
in AdaCore's git repository, to be able to use them with the
binutils-gdb.git repoisitory on sourceware. Ref:
https://www.sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2014-11/msg00700.html

I've added all the features that our hooks were missing, and was
working on adapting them to support the version of Python and Git
installed on sourceware, but unfortunately, the features missing
with the versions currently installed are really too convenient
to do without ("with ... as ...", OrderedDict, git's %B format,
etc). So, we need Python 2.7 and Git 1.9.

What would be our options for newer versions of both being installed?
I would assume that installing newer versions directly in /usr/bin
or /usr/local/bin would be too risky, so perhaps another area?

To determine the amount of work that would be involved, I installed
both at ~/home/gdbadmin/git-hooks-support, and then hard-coded that
path into the scripts. Ideally, I would prefer a more generic path,
such as /usr/local/git-hooks-deps, so that I could at least hardcode
a path that's not tied to the gdbadmin account. But otherwise, if
people are OK with the python & git installed in gdbadmin's home,
then we can use that until sourceware's next big update...

Please let me know, I can do the actual install work, if that helps
(ie, if we were to go with /usr/local/git-hooks-deps, we could make
that directory owned by gdbadmin).

Thank you!
--
Joel

* Re: newer versions of python and git on sourceware?
@ 2014-12-26 14:12 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2014-12-26 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Brobecker; +Cc: overseers

Hi -

> [...] So, we need Python 2.7 and Git 1.9.
> What would be our options for newer versions of both being installed?

The RH software-collections addons (/opt/rh/...) for RHEL[67] may be
satisfactory.  Will investigate.

- FChE

* Re: newer versions of python and git on sourceware?
@ 2014-12-27  8:13   ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2014-12-27  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: overseers

> > [...] So, we need Python 2.7 and Git 1.9.
> > What would be our options for newer versions of both being installed?
>
> The RH software-collections addons (/opt/rh/...) for RHEL[67] may be
> satisfactory.  Will investigate.

Thanks a lot, Frank. That would indeed be perfect if it works out.

--

@ 2014-12-29 21:26     ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2014-12-29 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Brobecker; +Cc: overseers

Hi -

> Thanks a lot, Frank. That would indeed be perfect if it works out.

OK, parts are installed, please try

% scl enable python27 bash
bash% which python
/opt/rh/python27/root/usr/bin/python