From: "Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche@elastic.org>
Subject: Re: ssh key conflicts
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 11:09:35 -0400	[thread overview]

Hi -

> Lately, every time after I do git pull from glibc and I git pull
> gcc I get this:

> Warning: the RSA host key for
> 'gcc.gnu.org' differs from the key for the IP address '8.43.85.97'
> Offending key for IP in /home/msebor/.ssh/known_hosts:18
> Matching host key in /home/msebor/.ssh/known_hosts:1
> Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?

BTW, glibc is not formally a gcc.gnu.org repository.

> So I go and delete the offending key, but the next time I pull
> the warning is back, and unless I delete the offending key I get:

I expect those were different warnings, perhaps from multiple
different generations.

> Connection closed by 8.43.85.97 port 22
> Please make sure you have the correct access rights
> and the repository exists.

That would be a totally different problem, maybe the wrong User name?

> After I do delete it I can pull gcc fine but when I try to pull
> glibc I get this:
>
> The authenticity of host 'sourceware.org (8.43.85.97)' can't be established.
> ECDSA key fingerprint is SHA256:4bqfulMjMg7/L/38MJBw7mVMMu6EH+3MgMitrCRdFho.

That should be a one-time thing.  The ssh key fingerprints are also in
the sourceware.org DNS so an ssh client can verify it.
echo "VerifyHostKeyDNS yes" >> .ssh/config

Sourceware's DNS is DNSSEC protected .... so this should work quietly
and smoothly but:

> This didn't use to happen.  [...]

.... I wonder if you're noticing this from inside the RH VPN.  Some
DNS servers we use ("infoblox", whatever that is) apparently have
problems with DNSSEC or EDNS or some such thing, and IT has
selectively disabled some parts of this for sourceware.org to work
around the infoblox OS bugs.  So it could be that your ssh client is
noticing this RH-internal breakage.  There are some other RH DNS
servers running linux that don't have this problem; maybe try one
of them (e.g. 10.15.24.173) in your /etc/resolv.conf.

Anyway, ignore the warnings and/or drop the old key records it's
complaining about, and things should be fine.

- FChE