From: Stan Shebs <shebs@shebs.cnchost.com>
To: Mark Galassi <rosalia@galassi.org>
Cc: overseers@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: Re: blocking impolite posters from docbook-tools-discuss
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 06:08:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Mark Galassi wrote:

> Amigos, I'm sure you will not be surprised that Eric S. Raymond has
> been posting offensive message to
> docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com
>
> I would like to block his posts without making a fuss.  What's the
> best way?

I read the thread, and I suggest doing nothing.  ESR is not very
polished, and his personality intrudes regularly, but when the hacker-
emperors are proudly striding about in the nude, he's the only one
who points it out loudly enough to get their attention.

I was at the infamous MacHack keynote where he spent five hours
proselytizing open source to a mostly vocal and hostile crowd,
with the end result that the subject dominated the conversation
for the next three days of the conference, and they all chipped in
to buy him an iBook so he could experience the Mac interface firsthand.
(By contrast, Stan had been talking about open source on Macs for the
past ten years, with zero net effect.)

This is the kind of spokesperson that open source needs right now;
muzzling him is counterproductive.

Stan

WARNING: multiple messages have this Message-ID
From: Stan Shebs <shebs@shebs.cnchost.com>
To: Mark Galassi <rosalia@galassi.org>
Cc: overseers@sourceware.cygnus.com
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 09:54:00 -0000	[thread overview]