* [Fwd: Re: Over-exuberant spam checking?]
@ 2005-08-31 12:01 Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2005-08-31 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers; +Cc: Gary Thomas

Gary posted the attached reply, but it got spam filtered too.

Help would be appreciated, thanks.

Jifl

[-- Attachment #2: Re: Over-exuberant spam checking? --]
[-- Type: message/rfc822, Size: 5848 bytes --]

From: Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
To: overseers@sources.redhat.com
Cc: Jonathan Larmour <jlarmour@ecoscentric.com>
Subject: Re: Over-exuberant spam checking?
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 04:35:30 -0600

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 17:13 +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> A long-time poster on the ecos-discuss mailing list is suddenly having his
> mail filtered out by mlcheckd. Here's the entries from /var/log/rbl-checks:
>
> [snip lots of allowed mails]
> Aug 25 15:52:54 sourceware spam: allowed: gary@mlbassoc.com 204.188.98.138
> -> ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org (global allow, SA: score=-2.461
> required=5 tests=AWL,BAYES_00,FORGED_RCVD_HELO)
> Aug 25 16:12:14 sourceware spam: -!*blocked: gary@mlbassoc.com
> 204.188.98.138 -> ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org (SA: score=48.701)
> Aug 29 09:10:39 sourceware spam: -!*blocked: gary@mlbassoc.com
> 204.188.98.138 -> ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org (SA: score=49.794)
> Aug 29 12:13:12 sourceware spam: -!*blocked: gary@mlbassoc.com
> 204.188.98.138 -> ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org (SA: score=24.69)
> Aug 30 12:07:40 sourceware spam: -!*blocked: gary@mlbassoc.com
> 204.188.98.138 -> ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org (SA: score=15.554)
> Aug 30 13:32:19 sourceware spam: -!*blocked: gary@mlbassoc.com
> 204.188.98.138 -> ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org (SA: score=15.554)
>
> Those are incredibly high scores. And note the sudden switch over. (Note
> if you look in rbl-checks now, you'll also see my subsequent attempts to
> reproduce this).
>
> I asked him to resend in the hope of being able to pick up a copy of what
> sourceware actually sees in /var/spool/mail/spam, but it doesn't seem to
> be being dumped there. He already subscribed to the global-allow list last
> week and I can see that in /qmail/lists/global/allow/subscribers/N.
>
> The mails in question are not spam-like at all, and I'm attaching one so
> you can see. How on earth could they have got a score like 48/49? I've
> hardly heard of scores like that on bad spam.
>
> So not only does the global-allow stuff not seem to help here, but there
> seems to be something more generally wrong, and it's worth getting to the
> bottom of that.
>
> When I feed the above mail to:
>
> EXT=ecos-discuss RECIPIENT=ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org
> SENDER=gary@mlbassoc.com /sourceware/infra/bin/mlcheck --test-body
>
> it comes out properly as ham. Which might imply it's some RBL test on the
> headers that's the issue? The attached mail doesn't have the headers that
> sourceware would see obviously.
>
> Any tips on how to debug this further? Or help to debug it? The only next
> steps I can think of involve changing mlcheckd, and I'm not brave enough
> to do that.

One followup - the change (going to being marked as SPAM) happened just
slightly after I had some emails which went to ecos-patches@ecos.sourceware.org
bounced as SPAM (no indication as to why).  This is when I sent the message
to subscribe me to the global-allows list.  That request was sent
25 Aug 2005 07:45:13 -0600

Thanks for your attention to this matter

> Jifl
> email message attachment (Attached Message)
> On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 17:13 +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> > This is the one sent at 09:10 2005-08-29
> > email message attachment, "Forwarded message - Re: [ECOS] Driver
> > with 2 EMAC"

> > > No real documentation other than code, sorry.  There are many examples
> > > in the source code though.  Most of these are structured as a generic
> > > driver (one which supports multiple instances of identical hardware
> > > units) and a platform specific driver (which defines which units
> > > are actually used, the physical details such as device [register]
> > > addresses, MAC/ESA addresses, etc).
> > >
> > > Try looking at
> > >   .../devs/eth/powerpc/fcc       [generic]
> > >   .../devs/eth/powerpc/rattler   [platform specifics]
> > > or
> > >   .../devs/eth/intel/i82559      [generic]
> > >   .../devs/eth/powerpc/csb281    [platform specifics]

only message in thread, other threads:[~2005-08-31 12:01 UTC | newest]