* [summaries: [SpamCop summary report]]
@ 2006-03-24 15:47 Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-03-24 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

I've been getting these with increasing frequence lately.

Apparently, we're again sending something to their spam trap
and users are complaining about spam.

Anyone have any insight?  The web site isn't very informative about
what's going on.

cgf

From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2006-03-24 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hi -

> [...]  Anyone have any insight?  The web site isn't very informative
> about what's going on. [...]

Is there a class of spamassassin test we're not using yet?  DNSBL?
URLDNSBL?  DCC/Pyzor/etc.?  Can qmail callout-verify MAIL FROM:
senders like exim can?

- FChE

* Re: [summaries: [SpamCop summary report]]
@ 2006-03-24 17:56   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-03-24 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler, overseers

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 11:12:30AM -0500, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
>Hi -
>
>> [...]  Anyone have any insight?  The web site isn't very informative
>> about what's going on. [...]
>
>Is there a class of spamassassin test we're not using yet?  DNSBL?
>URLDNSBL?  DCC/Pyzor/etc.?  Can qmail callout-verify MAIL FROM:
>senders like exim can?

/var/log/maillog reports blocks due to URIBL_* and blocks due to
BL_IN_SPAMCOP wouldn't that indicate that both are active?

qpsmtpd verifies RCPT TO: .  I have some from addresses blocked.  I
don't know what you mean by callout-verify.

cgf

* Re: [summaries: [SpamCop summary report]]
@ 2006-03-24 23:09     ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2006-03-24 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hi -

cgf wrote:

> >Is there a class of spamassassin test we're not using yet?  DNSBL?
> >URLDNSBL?  DCC/Pyzor/etc.?  Can qmail callout-verify MAIL FROM:
> >senders like exim can?
>
> /var/log/maillog reports blocks due to URIBL_* and blocks due to
> BL_IN_SPAMCOP wouldn't that indicate that both are active?

The DCC/Pyzor/Razor2 stuff is worth adding, if it's not there already.

> qpsmtpd verifies RCPT TO: .  I have some from addresses blocked.  I
> don't know what you mean by callout-verify.

Exim verifies the MAIL FROM: record, by trying to call out to the MX
server for the claimed originator domain, to try to deliver a dummy
message back to the claimed email address.  It can dispose of or mark
email whose originating address was fake.  My spam file contains many
hits of this criterion, which spamassassin can incorporate via bayes
or direct header-testing clauses.

- FChE

* Re: [summaries: [SpamCop summary report]]
@ 2006-03-28 15:43       ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2006-03-28 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: overseers

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Hi -
>
> cgf wrote:
>

>>>Is there a class of spamassassin test we're not using yet?  DNSBL?
>>>URLDNSBL?  DCC/Pyzor/etc.?  Can qmail callout-verify MAIL FROM:
>>>senders like exim can?
>>
>>/var/log/maillog reports blocks due to URIBL_* and blocks due to
>>BL_IN_SPAMCOP wouldn't that indicate that both are active?
>

> The DCC/Pyzor/Razor2 stuff is worth adding, if it's not there already.

Indeed. I've used Razor2 happily. I haven't tried Pyzor or DCC. Checking
against three different checksums may add up to a fair few resources, but
probably less than letting spams through :).

This may be useful:
http://spamassassinbook.packtpub.com/chapter11_preview.htm

>>qpsmtpd verifies RCPT TO: .  I have some from addresses blocked.  I
>>don't know what you mean by callout-verify.
>

> Exim verifies the MAIL FROM: record, by trying to call out to the MX
> server for the claimed originator domain, to try to deliver a dummy
> message back to the claimed email address.  It can dispose of or mark
> email whose originating address was fake.  My spam file contains many
> hits of this criterion, which spamassassin can incorporate via bayes
> or direct header-testing clauses.

Sounds expensive for a busy mail hub like sourceware though.

Jifl