* switch kawa from cvs to svn?
@ 2006-05-19 20:42 Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2006-05-19 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Kawa is one of the less visible projects partly hosted on sourceware.
I'm thinking it makes sense to switch it from using CVS to Subversion.
Since gcc switched last year, I assume converting Kawa would be a fairly
simple operation.  What should I do?
--
	--Per Bothner

* Re: switch kawa from cvs to svn?
@ 2006-05-19 21:00 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2006-05-19 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per Bothner; +Cc: overseers

Per Bothner <per@bothner.com> writes:

> Kawa is one of the less visible projects partly hosted on sourceware.
> I'm thinking it makes sense to switch it from using CVS to Subversion.
> Since gcc switched last year, I assume converting Kawa would be a fairly
> simple operation.  What should I do?

Well, we certainly don't have any sort of automated approach.  The
steps would be something like:

Remove the symlink /cvs/kawa to turn off CVS access.

Use cvs2svn to convert the repository.  Test it.

Archive off
    /sourceware/projects/kawa-home/cvsfiles/

Copy the new subversion repository to
    /sourceware/projects/kawa-home/svn/

Create the symlink /svn/kawa.

Ian

* Re: switch kawa from cvs to svn?
@ 2006-05-23  0:54   ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2006-05-23  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, per

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> Well, we certainly don't have any sort of automated approach.  The
> steps would be something like:

Thanks for reply, but I ran into some problems.

> Remove the symlink /cvs/kawa to turn off CVS access.

[I'll do this latter.  I'm the only committer, so I can control
this somewhat.]

> Use cvs2svn to convert the repository.  Test it.

cvs2svn isn't installed on sourceware, and I guess you might not
want something that intensive running on it, so I tared up
the kawa cvsfiles, scp'd them and ran cvs2svn (from yum) off-site.

> Archive off
>     /sourceware/projects/kawa-home/cvsfiles/

I'll need some more isstructions on this.

> Copy the new subversion repository to
>     /sourceware/projects/kawa-home/svn/

Did that.

> Create the symlink /svn/kawa.

I don't have permission for that.  Could someone do it for me?
--

@ 2006-05-23  1:09     ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2006-05-23  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per Bothner; +Cc: overseers

On Mon, 22 May 2006, Per Bothner wrote:
>> Copy the new subversion repository to
>> /sourceware/projects/kawa-home/svn/
> Did that.
>> Create the symlink /svn/kawa.
> I don't have permission for that.  Could someone do it for me?

Sure!  Done it is.

Gerald

* Re: switch kawa from cvs to svn?
@ 2006-05-23  2:26       ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2006-05-23  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: overseers

Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> On Mon, 22 May 2006, Per Bothner wrote:
>>> Copy the new subversion repository to
>>> /sourceware/projects/kawa-home/svn/
>> Did that.
>>> Create the symlink /svn/kawa.
>> I don't have permission for that.  Could someone do it for me?
>
> Sure!  Done it is.

Thanks!

I managed to get a read-only tree:

svn -q checkout svn://sources.redhat.com/svn/kawa/trunk kawa

However, that also checks out a bunch of uninteresting/obsolete
htdocs and other junk.  Looks I need to play a bit more with cvs2svn.
--

@ 2006-05-23  3:46   ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2006-05-23  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Well, we certainly don't have any sort of automated approach.  The
> steps would be something like:
>
> Remove the symlink /cvs/kawa to turn off CVS access.
>
> Use cvs2svn to convert the repository.  Test it.
>
> Archive off
>     /sourceware/projects/kawa-home/cvsfiles/
>
> Copy the new subversion repository to
>     /sourceware/projects/kawa-home/svn/
>
> Create the symlink /svn/kawa.

Ok, I've got this working now:
$ svn co svn+ssh://bothner@sources.redhat.com/svn/kawa/trunk kawa
[though I haven't tried a check-in yet]

What do I do about cvs commit messages - the kawa-cvs mailing list?
I assume that is what Ian referred to rather cryptically by
"archive off".

What do I do to get viewcvs or whatever should replace cvsweb?
--

@ 2006-05-23  4:36     ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2006-05-23  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per Bothner; +Cc: overseers

Per Bothner <per@bothner.com> writes:

> Ok, I've got this working now:
> $ svn co svn+ssh://bothner@sources.redhat.com/svn/kawa/trunk kawa
> [though I haven't tried a check-in yet]
>
> What do I do about cvs commit messages - the kawa-cvs mailing list?
> I assume that is what Ian referred to rather cryptically by
> "archive off".

Actually, all I meant was save a copy of the CVS repository
somewhere.

I don't myself know how the commit mailing lists work with
Subversion.

> What do I do to get viewcvs or whatever should replace cvsweb?

Hmmm, somebody may need to install viewcvs on the sourceware.org side.
The current installation appears to default to gcc, based on
    /usr/local/viewvc-1.0-dev/viewcvs.conf

Ian

* Re: switch kawa from cvs to svn?
@ 2006-05-23 12:26       ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2006-05-23 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, per

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Per Bothner <per@bothner.com> writes:
>
>> Ok, I've got this working now:
>> $ svn co svn+ssh://bothner@sources.redhat.com/svn/kawa/trunk kawa
>> [though I haven't tried a check-in yet]
>>
>> What do I do about cvs commit messages - the kawa-cvs mailing list?
>> I assume that is what Ian referred to rather cryptically by
>> "archive off".
>
> Actually, all I meant was save a copy of the CVS repository
> somewhere.
>
> I don't myself know how the commit mailing lists work with
> Subversion.

GCC uses svnmailer to direct mail around. You could do the same.

Just look at the hooks directory for gcc in /svn/gcc/hooks

>> What do I do to get viewcvs or whatever should replace cvsweb?
>
> Hmmm, somebody may need to install viewcvs on the sourceware.org side.
> The current installation appears to default to gcc, based on
>     /usr/local/viewvc-1.0-dev/viewcvs.conf

It does default to gcc.

However I just updated the config to see /svn as a multi-repository
root, so kawa will appear in the list of repositories (in the dropdown
in the upper right).

I can make it default to the repository list (IE it will display the
list of repos when you go to /viewcvs) instead of gcc if that is what we
want.

viewvc 1.0 is also out, if we want to upgrade to a non-dev version :).

* Re: switch kawa from cvs to svn?
@ 2006-05-23 13:37         ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2006-05-23 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Berlin; +Cc: overseers, per

Daniel Berlin <dberlin@dberlin.org> writes:

> However I just updated the config to see /svn as a multi-repository
> root, so kawa will appear in the list of repositories (in the dropdown
> in the upper right).
>
> I can make it default to the repository list (IE it will display the
> list of repos when you go to /viewcvs) instead of gcc if that is what we
> want.

Is there a URL we can use to start showing the top of a specific
repository?  That is what most projects will want.

Ian

* Re: switch kawa from cvs to svn?
@ 2006-05-23 13:57           ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2006-05-23 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, per, dberlin

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Daniel Berlin <dberlin@dberlin.org> writes:
>
>> However I just updated the config to see /svn as a multi-repository
>> root, so kawa will appear in the list of repositories (in the dropdown
>> in the upper right).
>>
>> I can make it default to the repository list (IE it will display the
>> list of repos when you go to /viewcvs) instead of gcc if that is what we
>> want.
>
> Is there a URL we can use to start showing the top of a specific
> repository?  That is what most projects will want.

http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs?root=<repo name>

IE
http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/?root=kawa

@ 2006-05-23 14:42             ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2006-05-23 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Berlin; +Cc: overseers

Daniel Berlin wrote:
> Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>> Is there a URL we can use to start showing the top of a specific
>> repository?  That is what most projects will want.
>>

> http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs?root=<repo name>
>
> IE
> http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/?root=kawa

That works, but I must say it's an "ugly" URL.  For example,
a URL deep into the hierarchy:
http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/trunk/gnu/jemacs/lang/ELisp.java?root=kawa
-but the "top" of the hierarchy (i.e. kawa) is specified using a query
string instead of being part of the path.  That's just wrong.  Not that
fixing it is worth spending much time, of course.

Also, it doesn't work if I replace gcc.gnu.org by sources.redhat.com
or sourceware.org.  Again, a blemish, but no biggie.

--

@ 2006-05-23 17:19               ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2006-05-23 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per Bothner; +Cc: overseers

Per Bothner wrote:
> Daniel Berlin wrote:
>> Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>>> Is there a URL we can use to start showing the top of a specific
>>> repository?  That is what most projects will want.
>>>
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs?root=<repo name>
>>
>> IE
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/?root=kawa
>
> That works, but I must say it's an "ugly" URL.  For example,
> a URL deep into the hierarchy:
> http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/trunk/gnu/jemacs/lang/ELisp.java?root=kawa
> -but the "top" of the hierarchy (i.e. kawa) is specified using a query
> string instead of being part of the path.  That's just wrong.  Not that
> fixing it is worth spending much time, of course.

This can be fixed easily, but on gcc.gnu.org, it would break existing urls.

I'd rather just have a sourceware install where root_as_url_component is
set.

Then your urls would be
http://www.sourceware.org/viewcvs/kawa/<whatever>

(or viewvc, which is the new name of viewcvs since it does other vcsen now)

> Also, it doesn't work if I replace gcc.gnu.org by sources.redhat.com
> or sourceware.org.  Again, a blemish, but no biggie.

This is just httpd config. Nobody asked for it to be on sourceware.org,
so i hadn't put it there.
I am happy to.

* Re: switch kawa from cvs to svn?
@ 2006-05-23 17:22                 ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2006-05-23 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Berlin; +Cc: overseers

Daniel Berlin wrote:
> I'd rather just have a sourceware install where root_as_url_component is
> set.
>
> Then your urls would be
> http://www.sourceware.org/viewcvs/kawa/<whatever>
>
> (or viewvc, which is the new name of viewcvs since it does other vcsen now)

That would be great.  I agree using viewcvs in the URL to browse a
Subversion archive might be confusing.

>> Also, it doesn't work if I replace gcc.gnu.org by sources.redhat.com
>> or sourceware.org.  Again, a blemish, but no biggie.
>
> This is just httpd config. Nobody asked for it to be on sourceware.org,
> so i hadn't put it there.
> I am happy to.

Thanks!
--

@ 2006-05-23 18:00         ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2006-05-23 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Berlin; +Cc: overseers

Daniel Berlin wrote:
> GCC uses svnmailer to direct mail around. You could do the same.
>
> Just look at the hooks directory for gcc in /svn/gcc/hooks

Thanks - got that working too.
--

@ 2006-05-27 21:44           ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2006-05-27 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per Bothner; +Cc: overseers

Per,

On Tue, 23 May 2006, Per Bothner wrote:
>> Just look at the hooks directory for gcc in /svn/gcc/hooks
> Thanks - got that working too.

I wonder whether you could try to write down your experiences
converting kawa from cvs to svn?  I assume there will be several
other projects who are going to go through this conversion, and
such documentation surely would help.

Gerald

* Re: switch kawa from cvs to svn?
@ 2006-05-28  2:00             ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2006-05-28  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: overseers

Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> Per,
>
> On Tue, 23 May 2006, Per Bothner wrote:
>>> Just look at the hooks directory for gcc in /svn/gcc/hooks
>> Thanks - got that working too.
>
> I wonder whether you could try to write down your experiences
> converting kawa from cvs to svn?  I assume there will be several
> other projects who are going to go through this conversion, and
> such documentation surely would help.

I though I'll try to do the actual switchover next week.
I'm hoping someone (Daniel?) will set up viewcvs properly,
though it's not a show-stopper.
--

@ 2006-06-07  0:37             ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2006-06-07  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: overseers

Thanks to everybody who helped - I've now switched "officially".

Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> I wonder whether you could try to write down your experiences
> converting kawa from cvs to svn?  I assume there will be several
> other projects who are going to go through this conversion, and
> such documentation surely would help.

Here are some annotated notes/instructions, based on Ian's:

* Disable write access to CVS repository.

(Can defer this for a dry-run.)
Easiest: Remove the symlink /cvs/kawa to turn off CVS access.
Since I'm the only Kawa committer, I didn't worry about this.
I've left the symlink in for now.  It would be nice to switch
CVS to read-only, as a transition step - so I don't accidentally
check stuff into the wrong repository.  However, I don't know
how to do that.  (I don't have the permissions to just do
chmod myseld.)

* Use cvs2svn to convert the repository.  Test it.

cvs2svn isn't installed on sourceware, and it isn't in Fedora.
I grabbed a copy from atrpms.net.  If someone could install
cvs2svn the following instructions would be a lot simpler ...

On sourceware:
cd /cvs/kawa/kawa
[Note I went "down" a level to skip the htdocs etc junk.]
tar czf /tmp/kawa.cvs .
exit to own computer
scp sources.redhat.com:/tmp/kawa.cvs /tmp
mkdir /tmp/kawa; cd /tmp/kawa; tar xzf /tmp/kawa.cvs
In fresh directory:
cvs2svn -s kawa /tmp/kcvs/kawa
cd /tmp/ksvn/kawa
tar czf /tmp/kawa.svn.tgz .
scp /tmp/kawa.svn.tgz sources.redhat.com:/tmp

Copy the new subversion repository to
cd /sourceware/projects/kawa-home/svn/
tar xzf /tmp/kawa.svn.tgz

Create the symlink /svn/kawa:
cd /svn; ln -s /sourceware/projects/kawa-home/svn kawa

Commit messages:
Create files (see gcc or kawa for samples):
/svn/kawa/hooks/post-commit
/svn/kawa/hooks/svnmailer.conf

To browse, this works (thanks to Daniel Berlin):
http://sourceware.org/viewvc/kawa/

To-do: rsync access to repository?
--

@ 2006-06-07  1:12               ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-06-07  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Per Bothner, Gerald Pfeifer

On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 05:37:02PM -0700, Per Bothner wrote:
>cvs2svn isn't installed on sourceware, and it isn't in Fedora.
>I grabbed a copy from atrpms.net.  If someone could install
>cvs2svn the following instructions would be a lot simpler ...

I just installed this via "up2date cvs2svn".

cgf

* Re: switch kawa from cvs to svn?
@ 2006-06-07  1:32               ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2006-06-07  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per Bothner; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer, overseers

Per Bothner wrote:
> Thanks to everybody who helped - I've now switched "officially".
>
> Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>> I wonder whether you could try to write down your experiences
>> converting kawa from cvs to svn?  I assume there will be several
>> other projects who are going to go through this conversion, and
>> such documentation surely would help.
>
> Here are some annotated notes/instructions, based on Ian's:
>
> * Disable write access to CVS repository.
>
> (Can defer this for a dry-run.)
> Easiest: Remove the symlink /cvs/kawa to turn off CVS access.
> Since I'm the only Kawa committer, I didn't worry about this.
> I've left the symlink in for now.  It would be nice to switch
> CVS to read-only, as a transition step - so I don't accidentally
> check stuff into the wrong repository.  However, I don't know
> how to do that.  (I don't have the permissions to just do
> chmod myseld.)
>
> * Use cvs2svn to convert the repository.  Test it.
>
> cvs2svn isn't installed on sourceware, and it isn't in Fedora.
> I grabbed a copy from atrpms.net.  If someone could install
> cvs2svn the following instructions would be a lot simpler ...

I hadn't installed it because the gcc version was custom at the time (it
had many bugfixes that are now in mainline, and massive speed
improvements that aren't yet there).
> To-do: rsync access to repository?

This is automatic if you just call the generate-rsyncd-conf.sh script.
I already taught it what to do about svn repositories.
I just reran it, and you have a shiny new kawa-svn rsync target.