* Write access to binutils for my employees
@ 2006-08-10 20:36 Meissner, Michael
From: Meissner, Michael @ 2006-08-10 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

What is the procedure to give people with existing sourceware accounts
write after approval access to binutils/bfd/gas/ld directories.  The 4
accounts are:

dwarak
hjagasia
tonylinthicum
emenezes

--
Michael Meissner
AMD, MS 83-29

* Re: Write access to binutils for my employees
@ 2006-08-10 20:45 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2006-08-10 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meissner, Michael; +Cc: overseers

Hi -

> What is the procedure to give people with existing sourceware accounts
> write after approval access to binutils/bfd/gas/ld directories.  [...]

Assuming copyright assignments are in order, I believe any binutils
maintainer can sponsor individual accounts for access.  Since you are
such a person, consider it done.

- FChE

* RE: Write access to binutils for my employees
@ 2006-08-10 20:48   ` Meissner, Michael
From: Meissner, Michael @ 2006-08-10 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: overseers

Thanks.

--
Michael Meissner
AMD, MS 83-29

[...]

@ 2006-08-11  8:52   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-08-11  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler, overseers, Meissner, Michael

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 04:35:47PM -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
>>What is the procedure to give people with existing sourceware accounts
>>write after approval access to binutils/bfd/gas/ld directories.  [...]
>
>Assuming copyright assignments are in order, I believe any binutils
>maintainer can sponsor individual accounts for access.  Since you are
>such a person, consider it done.

Actually, that's the gcc method.

I believe that Nick Clifton exercises authority over binutils checkins
and has a different policy.

cgf

* Re: Write access to binutils for my employees
@ 2006-08-11 15:43     ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2006-08-11 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers; +Cc: Frank Ch. Eigler, Meissner, Michael, Nick Clifton

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 04:45:23PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 04:35:47PM -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> >>What is the procedure to give people with existing sourceware accounts
> >>write after approval access to binutils/bfd/gas/ld directories.  [...]
> >
> >Assuming copyright assignments are in order, I believe any binutils
> >maintainer can sponsor individual accounts for access.  Since you are
> >such a person, consider it done.
>
> Actually, that's the gcc method.
>
> I believe that Nick Clifton exercises authority over binutils checkins
> and has a different policy.

binutils/MAINTAINERS:

Individuals with "write after approval" have the ability to check in
changes, but they must get approval for each change from someone in
one of the above lists (blanket write or maintainers).

[It's a huge list, folks.  You know who you are.  If you have the
 *ability* to do binutils checkins, you're in this group.  Just
 remember to get approval before checking anything in.]

As far as I know, anyone with src access is welcome to sponsor
additional people with src access; but Nick obviously gets the last
word, so let's ask him :-)

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery

* Re: Write access to binutils for my employees
@ 2006-08-11 19:55       ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2006-08-11 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz, Frank Ch. Eigler, Meissner, Michael; +Cc: overseers

Hi Guys,

> binutils/MAINTAINERS:
>
> Individuals with "write after approval" have the ability to check in
> changes, but they must get approval for each change from someone in
> one of the above lists (blanket write or maintainers).
>
> [It's a huge list, folks.  You know who you are.  If you have the
>  *ability* to do binutils checkins, you're in this group.  Just
>  remember to get approval before checking anything in.]
>
> As far as I know, anyone with src access is welcome to sponsor
> additional people with src access; but Nick obviously gets the last
> word, so let's ask him :-)

Bwa ha ha - the power...

OK, my policy is that any long term, active maintainer with src access
can sponsor a new account.  Ie the sponsor needs to know how the
binutils development process works, and to be confident that the new
person is also reasonably aware of this process as well.  But other than
that I do not place any restrictions.  So Daniel, please feel free to
sponsor people when you think they are ready.

Cheers
   Nick