From: Jonathan Larmour <jifl@jifvik.org>
To: overseers@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: questions about blocking disclaimers
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 22:16:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 05, 2007 at 01:34:29AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> As many people know, I'm working on modifying the spam filter software
>> so that it will block email which contains unenforceable company
>> disclaimers.  I've been surveying the archives for samples of
>> disclaimers to seed the spam blocking regex.  I'd like to be able to
>> include the match that triggered the disclaimer bounce so that people
>> can see what is causing the problem but that may increase the size
>> of the bounce.  Is that ok, though?
>>
>> Here's what I have for the bounce message right now:

My only thought is that this might be sudden and dramatic for some people,
who may find it difficult to remove them. Can it temporarily accept the
message (with a warning that they will be rejected entirely soon), and
after a month, we change it so we do reject them?

Out of interest I have had long arguments in my workplace about such
disclaimers, and it has been alleged that EU Data Protection law (as
applied in the UK at least) pretty much requires that any mail sent from a
business (including any employees) has to include them. It was a hard fight
to prevent them being added to all our email, and allegedly omitting them
is being done at some risk to the company directors. I doubt this should
change the policy, but it does show that the only solution people may have
is not to post from their work at all, so giving them time to arrange an
alternative would some reasonable.

I think the text of the bounce is fine (for when things do get dropped).

Jifl