* libc-hack policy
@ 2009-11-13 15:00 Petr Baudis
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Petr Baudis @ 2009-11-13 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

  Hello!

  Is it possible to change libc-hack policy so that the subscription is
open to all but posting is still restricted to the same set of people as
now? Or is there a technical restriction that prevents this with the
current list software? (It's probably not a too big deal if it isn't
possible, but it would be good to have a clear picture here.)

  Thank you,

--
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
A lot of people have my books on their bookshelves.

* Re: libc-hack policy
@ 2009-11-13 16:06 ` Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 2009-11-13 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Whoa, stop it.  There is nothing broken.  No change needed.

* Re: libc-hack policy
@ 2009-11-13 16:55 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2009-11-13 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Petr Baudis

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 04:00:00PM +0100, Petr Baudis wrote:
>Is it possible to change libc-hack policy so that the subscription is
>open to all but posting is still restricted to the same set of people
>as now?  Or is there a technical restriction that prevents this with
>the current list software?  (It's probably not a too big deal if it
>isn't possible, but it would be good to have a clear picture here.)

You're asking system administrators to change mailing list policy.  We
don't do that.

Since Ulrich has indicated that he doesn't want to change the policy we
won't be changing the policy.

cgf

* Re: libc-hack policy
@ 2009-11-13 18:23   ` Petr Baudis
From: Petr Baudis @ 2009-11-13 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 11:55:06AM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 04:00:00PM +0100, Petr Baudis wrote:
> >Is it possible to change libc-hack policy so that the subscription is
> >open to all but posting is still restricted to the same set of people
> >as now?  Or is there a technical restriction that prevents this with
> >the current list software?  (It's probably not a too big deal if it
> >isn't possible, but it would be good to have a clear picture here.)
>
> You're asking system administrators to change mailing list policy.  We
> don't do that.
>
> Since Ulrich has indicated that he doesn't want to change the policy we
> won't be changing the policy.

I'm asking for input into ongoing discussion, where it was claimed by
Roland (who otherwise said "There is no reason not to allow read-only
subscriptions, sure--there are no secrets there, of course." and Carlos
suggested that I should ask you if it's technically possible, so I'm
just doing that...

--

@ 2009-11-13 18:25     ` Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 2009-11-13 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On 11/13/2009 10:23 AM, Petr Baudis wrote:
> I'm asking for input into ongoing discussion, where it was claimed by
> Roland (who otherwise said "There is no reason not to allow read-only
> subscriptions, sure--there are no secrets there, of course." and Carlos
> suggested that I should ask you if it's technically possible, so I'm
> just doing that...

You asking for others to do work even though there is no reason
whatsoever.  There is no reason for a change.

* sourceware.org shell access
@ 2009-12-11  1:34 ` Petr Baudis
From: Petr Baudis @ 2009-12-11  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers; +Cc: roland

  Hi!

  I'm the release manager for glibc 2.11 branch and in order to be able
to publish releases, apparently I need full shell acess on
sourceware.org, thus I'd like to ask for this; currently, I already have
git-only shell account 'pasky'. I will just need to use gnupload to the
machine I think, if there're multiple permission levels.

  Thank you,

--
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
A lot of people have my books on their bookshelves.
That's the problem, they need to read them. -- Don Knuth

* Re: sourceware.org shell access
@ 2009-12-11  2:11   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2009-12-11  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: roland, overseers, Petr Baudis

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 02:34:13AM +0100, Petr Baudis wrote:
>  Hi!
>
>  I'm the release manager for glibc 2.11 branch and in order to be able
>to publish releases, apparently I need full shell acess on
>sourceware.org, thus I'd like to ask for this; currently, I already have
>git-only shell account 'pasky'. I will just need to use gnupload to the
>machine I think, if there're multiple permission levels.

We just provided shell access to Andreas Schwab.  Why do so many
people in the glibc project need shell access?

cgf

* Re: sourceware.org shell access
@ 2009-12-12  0:04     ` Roland McGrath
From: Roland McGrath @ 2009-12-12  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: overseers, Petr Baudis, Andreas Schwab

> We just provided shell access to Andreas Schwab.  Why do so many
> people in the glibc project need shell access?

We have a maintainer independently responsible for each release stream.
Currently Andreas and Petr are both responsible for active streams.  Over
time, the number of active streams will wax and wane, and it's likely we'll
have fewer individual maintainers than individual streams in the long run.
But the number and identity of those people will vary, and possibly change
on the order of twice a year.

These maintainers do not especially need shell access on sourceware.  They
need access to maintain the sourceware ftp space under glibc/releases/.  As
far as I know, a restricted access that made this possible would be fine
for both Andreas and Petr, and for future such individuals.

If it is for some reason a severe imposition either to maintain a few
account privileges once or twice a year, or to trust with shell access the
people that the glibc project trusts, then we can try to figure out some
other mechanism.  (i.e., if you really give us a hard time, then I will set
up some cron jobs in my sourceware account to rsync from one or more places
where the people I trust can maintain files for the sourceware ftp area.)

Thanks,
Roland

* Re: sourceware.org shell access
@ 2009-12-18 23:02       ` Petr Baudis
From: Petr Baudis @ 2009-12-18 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers; +Cc: Andreas Schwab, Roland McGrath

  Hi!

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 04:04:06PM -0800, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > We just provided shell access to Andreas Schwab.  Why do so many
> > people in the glibc project need shell access?
>
> We have a maintainer independently responsible for each release stream.

  Is there any progress with the request?

  Thank you,

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis