From: Yaakov Selkowitz <yselkowi@redhat.com>
To: overseers@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Cygwin infrastructure assistance, part 2
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2014 21:50:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 2014-08-06 09:16, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 06, 2014 at 12:04:08AM -0500, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:

>>> These seem to go to either postmaster AT cygwin.com or
>>> postmaster AT sourceware.org, which I think wind up in the same place.  For
>>> any given list, look at ~alias/.qmail-LISTNAME-owner to see where the
>>> messages go.  Right now I think that all e-mail to postmaster goes just
>>> to cgf.  It's a mailing list: /qmail/lists-system/postmaster.  I guess
>>> somebody else should get on that list, though I imagine it gets a lot of
>>> spam.
>>
>> $ ezmlm-list /qmail/lists-system/postmaster
>> me AT cgf.cx
>>
>> I have attempted to subscribe to postmaster, but after acking my
>> subscription request I am still not subscribed.  Would my subscription
>> request be stuck in a moderator queue?
>
>>> In general I would not expect the -owner address to get many interesting
>>> messages.
>>
>> Probably true, but occasionally human intervention is required, and it
>> doesn't help us much if cgf is the only person getting them (and who
>> knows for how much longer at that).
>
> I don't recall many cases of needing to be able to deal with a
> cygwin-specific issue in postmaster mail.  There probably is a
> disproportionate amount of people confused by the concept of not sending
> html email but the canned response to that confusion is not
> cygwin-specific.

Understood, but eventually there will need to be some human
intervention; as they say, "somebody has to do it" and I presume that
won't be you going forward.

>>> ezmlm-list /qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin
>>>
>>> Replace "cygwin" with the mailing list you are interested in.
>>
>> This works for me, but these do not:
>>
>>> ezmlm-unsub /qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin joe@foo.com
>>> ezmlm-sub /qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin/deny joe@foo.com
>>
>> ezmlm-unsub: fatal: unable to open
>> /qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin-announce/lock: access denied
>>
>> The lock files are mostly 0644 alias:qmail, except for
>> /qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin-developers/deny-subscribe/lock and
>> /qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin-talk/deny/lock which are 0400 root:root.
>>   Is there a way to make these accessible from the cygwin-admin login?
>
> The intent of ezmlm mailing list administration is that everything
> should be able to be manipulated via email.  Corinna has been able to
> subscribe and unsubscribe people from the cygwin mailing list for years.

OK, thanks for clarifying.  However, according to section 3.2, the
addition of moderators themselves (among other tasks) requires
command-line access.  Therefore, could someone with the necessary
permissions run the following:

ezmlm-sub /qmail/lists-system/postmaster yselkowi@redhat.com;

for list in cygwin cygwin-announce cygwin-apps cygwin-developers \
             cygwin-licensing cygwin-patches cygwin-talk cygwin-xfree \
             cygwin-xfree-announce; do
   ezmlm-sub /qmail/lists-sourceware/$list/mod yselkowi@redhat.com;
done

for list in cygwin-announce cygwin-xfree cygwin-xfree-announce; do
   ezmlm-unsub /qmail/lists-sourceware/$list/mod
yselkowitz@users.sourceforge.net;
done

ezmlm-unsub /qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin-announce/mod
cygwin@cwilson.fastmail.fm;

TIA,

--
Yaakov Selkowitz