From: Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org>
To: overseers@sourceware.org
Cc: Corinna Vinschen <vinschen@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: proposing Sourceware as Software Freedom Conservancy member project
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 12:51:45 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Corinna,

On Thu, 2022-09-01 at 20:45 +0200, Corinna Vinschen via Overseers wrote:
> On Aug 30 14:03, Frank Ch. Eigler via Overseers wrote:
> > This year, we set up a roadmap to improve the services for tracking
> > and automation of email based patches and testing
> > https://inbox.sourceware.org/overseers/YrLdfDWzq1T4k5xg@wildebeest.org/
> > This resulted in the launch of several new or updated services
> > (builder.sourceware.org, patchwork.sourceware.org and
> > inbox.sourceware.org).  This didn't need any additional funds (except
> > for the sourcehut mirror which costs $10 a month).  We are proud to
> > operate these services with minimal costs so we can sustain them both
> > in good and in bad years.  But that doesn't mean everything has to be
> > done on a zero budget.  Financial contributions are more than welcome
> > so that if the need arises we can contract for some unusual admin
> > stuff or additions to services like bugzilla, buildbot, patchwork,
> > public-inbox or sourcehut.
>
> I'd like to raise my finger here.  As you probably know well, Cygwin
> has very little need for official services like the above.

Of course you don't need to use any of them if you don't need them. All
the cygwin mailinglists are now also included in the public-inbox
instance at https://inbox.sourceware.org/ (so also accessible through
git, atom, imap and nntp) but that doesn't change anything about the
existing mailinglist setups. And you can ignore patchwork and builder
if you don't need them. But they are there in case you do.

>   Apart from
> website, git, and mailing list, we especially require the handcrafted
> services for our Windows-centric package management of our distro.
> We're maintaining this stuff pretty much self-sufficiently for a long
> time.  I take it this can continue and will still be supported in
> future?

Of course! Like Frank already said "we contemplate no necessary
technical change or disruption of any sort, including to operations,
governance, or hosted project procedures or licensing.  It would be
solely a way to help future needs by providing routing for financial
contributions, and have an official, charitable entity (with a real
legal existence) for supporting sourceware.org."

Thanks,

Mark