* Red Hat PDU upgrades (Mesa, AZ datacenter)
@ 2008-11-10 18:46 Jonathan Pickard
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jonathan Pickard @ 2008-11-10 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: me, overseers

Hello,

We will soon be conducting an upgrade to the PDUs that provide power
to the servers that you are hosting with Red Hat in our Mesa, AZ
(PHX) facility. To minimize service disruption, I am coordinating the
work with the various host owners. You are listed as a contact for
the following machines:
sourceware
sourceware1
sourceware2

Your affected machines have dual power supplies, and the work being
planned is staged to take advantage of this through the following steps:

* Install new PDU (new-a)
* Removing servers power from old primary PDU (old-a)
* Connecting servers power to new primary PDU (new-a)
* Repeat process with secondary PDUs (old-a and old-b)

If your hosts are properly configured and the hardware is in working
order, there should be no downtime. However, it may be at the point
of power swap that a problem is realized. To minimize that risk, we
are working with the host owners to schedule a date and time that
will lessen the impact of a downed host or hosts.

Please respond to me as soon as possible with the following:
* Confirmation that you have working remote management access to the
host, in order to bring it back online if power is disrupted
(something such as remote serial access through a Cyclades, a Dell
DRAC, IBM RASII, or the like).
* A range of dates and times, before November 21, that you prefer the
outage be scheduled for.

Once I have this information I will work with the various owners to
coordinate a finalized date and time for the work.

Thanks,
Jonathan Pickard
Corporate Infrastructure Services
Red Hat, Inc

* Re: Red Hat PDU upgrades (Mesa, AZ datacenter)
@ 2008-11-10 21:27 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2008-11-10 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Pickard; +Cc: Matthew Galgoci, Sourceware Overseers

Hi -

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 11:45:55AM -0700, Jonathan Pickard wrote:
> [...]
> We will soon be conducting an upgrade to the PDUs that provide power
> to the servers that you are hosting with Red Hat in our Mesa, AZ
> (PHX) facility. To minimize service disruption, I am coordinating the
> work with the various host owners. You are listed as a contact for
> the following machines:
> sourceware
> sourceware1
> sourceware2
> [...]

I believe mgalgoci is the only one with control over the remote power
management hardware for these machines, should they become necessary.

- FChE

* Re: Red Hat PDU upgrades (Mesa, AZ datacenter)
@ 2008-11-10 23:14   ` Matthew Galgoci
From: Matthew Galgoci @ 2008-11-10 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: Jonathan Pickard, Sourceware Overseers

> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 11:45:55AM -0700, Jonathan Pickard wrote:
> > [...]
> > We will soon be conducting an upgrade to the PDUs that provide power
> > to the servers that you are hosting with Red Hat in our Mesa, AZ
> > (PHX) facility. To minimize service disruption, I am coordinating the
> > work with the various host owners. You are listed as a contact for
> > the following machines:
> > sourceware
> > sourceware1
> > sourceware2
> > [...]
>
> I believe mgalgoci is the only one with control over the remote power
> management hardware for these machines, should they become necessary.

Correct but you should have serial console from either the secondary or
tertiary box as well. That doesn't help you if they're all down though.

--
Matthew Galgoci
Network Operations

* Re: Red Hat PDU upgrades (Mesa, AZ datacenter)
@ 2008-11-11  0:49     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-11-11  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sourceware Overseers, Frank Ch. Eigler, Jonathan Pickard,
	Matthew Galgoci

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 06:13:54PM -0500, Matthew Galgoci wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 11:45:55AM -0700, Jonathan Pickard wrote:
>> > [...]
>> > We will soon be conducting an upgrade to the PDUs that provide power
>> > to the servers that you are hosting with Red Hat in our Mesa, AZ
>> > (PHX) facility. To minimize service disruption, I am coordinating the
>> > work with the various host owners. You are listed as a contact for
>> > the following machines:
>> > sourceware
>> > sourceware1
>> > sourceware2
>> > [...]
>>
>> I believe mgalgoci is the only one with control over the remote power
>> management hardware for these machines, should they become necessary.
>
>Correct but you should have serial console from either the secondary or
>tertiary box as well. That doesn't help you if they're all down though.

We do have this but, as you say...

cgf

* Re: Red Hat PDU upgrades (Mesa, AZ datacenter)
@ 2008-11-11 15:29       ` Matthew Galgoci
From: Matthew Galgoci @ 2008-11-11 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor
  Cc: Sourceware Overseers, Frank Ch. Eigler, Jonathan Pickard

> Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 19:49:02 -0500
> To: Sourceware Overseers <overseers@sources.redhat.com>,
>     Frank Ch. Eigler <fche@redhat.com>,
>     Jonathan Pickard <jpickard@redhat.com>,
>     Matthew Galgoci <mgalgoci@redhat.com>
> Subject: Re: Red Hat PDU upgrades (Mesa, AZ datacenter)

> >> I believe mgalgoci is the only one with control over the remote power
> >> management hardware for these machines, should they become necessary.
> >
> >Correct but you should have serial console from either the secondary or
> >tertiary box as well. That doesn't help you if they're all down though.
>
> We do have this but, as you say...

Jonathan will be on site, and I'll be available remotely to assist with
any cleanup....

--
Matthew Galgoci
Network Operations

* Re: Red Hat PDU upgrades (Mesa, AZ datacenter)
@ 2008-11-11 15:38         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-11-11 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler, Sourceware Overseers, Jonathan Pickard,
	Matthew Galgoci

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:28:45AM -0500, Matthew Galgoci wrote:
>> Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 19:49:02 -0500
>> To: Sourceware Overseers <overseers@sources.redhat.com>,
>>     Frank Ch. Eigler <fche@redhat.com>,
>>     Jonathan Pickard <jpickard@redhat.com>,
>>     Matthew Galgoci <mgalgoci@redhat.com>
>> Subject: Re: Red Hat PDU upgrades (Mesa, AZ datacenter)

>> >Correct but you should have serial console from either the secondary or
>> >tertiary box as well. That doesn't help you if they're all down though.
>>
>> We do have this but, as you say...
>
>Jonathan will be on site, and I'll be available remotely to assist with
>any cleanup....

Ok, in that case, I'd say late at night (10PM PST) or weekends would be
fine for this.  Just let us know what is convenient for you.

Overseers feel free to disagree if I'm wrong here.

cgf

* Re: Red Hat PDU upgrades (Mesa, AZ datacenter)
@ 2008-11-14 20:18 ` Jonathan Pickard
From: Jonathan Pickard @ 2008-11-14 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Pickard; +Cc: me, overseers

Hello,

The PDU upgrades have been scheduled for Thursday, November 20, 2008
at 6pm MST (5pm PST, 8pm EST). I will follow-up once the work is
completed or if issues arise.

Regards,
Jonathan

@ 2008-11-19 16:18 ` Jonathan Pickard
From: Jonathan Pickard @ 2008-11-19 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Pickard; +Cc: me, overseers

[Reminder that this maintenance will take place tomorrow.]

Hello,

The PDU upgrades have been scheduled for Thursday, November 20, 2008

@ 2008-11-19 16:28   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-11-19 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Jonathan Pickard

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 09:18:00AM -0700, Jonathan Pickard wrote:
> [Reminder that this maintenance will take place tomorrow.]
>
> Hello,
>
> The PDU upgrades have been scheduled for Thursday, November 20, 2008 at 6pm
> MST (5pm PST, 8pm EST). I will follow-up once the work is completed or if
> issues arise.

Thanks for the reminder.

cgf

* Re: Red Hat PDU upgrades (Mesa, AZ datacenter)
@ 2008-11-21  2:15   ` Jonathan Pickard
From: Jonathan Pickard @ 2008-11-21  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Pickard; +Cc: me, overseers

All,

The maintenance finished without major incident.

Regards,
Jonathan