From: Jim Meyering <jim@meyering.net>
To: overseers@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Upstream cvs repository corruption?
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:06:00 -0000	[thread overview]

>>> In the meantime I've noticed quite a few long-running processes owned by
>>> you running on sourceware.  Having long-running user-owned processes is
>>
>>As far as I know, there was one incident.  Frank told me you noticed some,
>>and I killed them right away.  Did I not kill them quickly enough? :-) 1/2
>
> No, actually, I asked about them and, AFAIK, never got a response.  The
> issue wasn't with the processes running.  Random users should not be
> starting long running daemon processes on sourceware.

For what it's worth, I'm _not_ running any daemon processes
from my account on sourceware.  The long-running processes you
spotted were the result of a bug somewhere, and not related to
the git "service".  The programs involved were converting
cvs deltas to git ones and importing them into a git repository.
Not actually _using_ the git server at all, but rather, adding to
a repo that is used by the git server.

>>About 10 minutes elapsed on Saturday, between when I heard about the
>>problem and when they were all dead.
>>
>>BTW, I don't know what made that happen (a defunct cvs process was
>>at the root of each of two process trees).  If it happens again, I'll
>>investigate.  Normal mirror-sync runs are very quick.
>>
>>> not really a good practice given the principle of "what happens if he's
>>> hit by a bus?"
>>
>>They weren't consuming significant resources, so
>>I don't see the problem with those few delinquent processes.
>
> I didn't say anything about resources.  User "meyring" should not be
> running daemons or other long-running processes.  If we are going to be
> running git then it should be run from a user-neutral account.  I was

Um... git is properly installed, and does not in any way rely on
my personal account.

> trying to find out what that should actually be.  There is no need to
> rationalize the need.  I just want to figure out how this should
> actually be set up.  And, I thought that if we chose another account
> with different access rights it might actually solve the problem.

Chris,

From the tone of your messages, I fear I may have done something to
offend you.  If so, please rest assured that whatever I did was not
intended to rustle any feathers.