* Re: Request for sourceware.org to host project: XFLAT noMMU shared library technology
       [not found] <NGBBKMBLKLBCENJIBEJJGEPBHAAA.todd.fischer@cadenux.com>
@ 2006-03-31 14:45 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-03-31 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Todd Fischer, overseers, Greg Nutt

[redirecting to overseers from sourcemaster]
On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 07:36:21AM -0700, Todd Fischer wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Over the last 5 years we have developed software that allows Linux
>applications running on uClinux to dynamically link with libraries,
>particularly uClibc.  To date Cadenux has had a proprietary licensed for
>XFLAT.
>
>We are now in a position to license XFLAT using a dual GPL / BSD license.
>We would like the open source XFLAT to be hosted on a site whose focus is on
>technical software (opposed to application software).  For this reason we
>feel sourceware.org is a good match.
>
>Our goal is for Cadenux to include both ARM7 and ARM9 (yes, there are
>versions of ARM9 that don't have an MMU) XFLAT technology.  To be useful,
>you need both XFLAT and the tools to get XFLAT support in the GNU toolchain
>and uClibc library.  We plan to include both the XFLAT source code and the
>tools scripts used.
>
>The technology is stable and mature (and documented).  You can read more
>about XFLAT at http://www.cadenux.com/xflat
>
>Please let us know if you feel XFLAT is a good match for sourceware.org.

This sounds feasible.  Were you contemplating just having a
http://sourceware.org/xflat web page or were you thinking about
redirecting a 'xflat.org' domain name here?

I assume that you need cvs/svn access.  Do you also need mailing lists
and an ftp area?

Any objections from overseers to hosting this project?

cgf

* RE: Request for sourceware.org to host project: XFLAT noMMU shared library technology
@ 2006-03-31 15:15   ` Todd Fischer
From: Todd Fischer @ 2006-03-31 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: Greg Nutt

Hi Christopher,

> This sounds feasible.

Thanks for your consideration.

I would redirect xflat.org to http://sourceware.org/xflat.

> I assume that you need cvs/svn access.

Yes. Development would be done using CVS.

> Do you also need mailing lists
> and an ftp area?

Yes.

We would likely have bundled code and tool scripts to make it easy for
anyone to rebuild the toolchain with XFLAT support so FTP would be helpful.

I was contacted by another open source project that asked for XFLAT (for
ARM7).  I have enlisted their help in at least testing part of the
technology - they may help get it usable in a open source manner as well.

Greg Nutt, the developer of XFLAT, would be the project administrator.

Todd