* Bad redirections from gnu.org to gcc.gnu.org
@ 2002-11-20 14:08 Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2002-11-20 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

I got this bounce -- it looks like bug-gcc@gnu.org is being forwarded
to some weird address @cygnus.com instead of gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
which would be the sensible place to send it.

Could someone with access to the gnu.org machines please go through
their alias file and clean up all the remaining redirections to
cygnus.com addresses?

TIA,
zw

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3162 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 570 bytes --]

The original message was received at Wed, 20 Nov 2002 16:32:27 -0500
from fencepost.gnu.org [199.232.76.164]

<bug-gcc-in@cygnus.com>
    (reason: 553 5.3.0 <bug-gcc-in@cygnus.com>... is now part of Red Hat please see www.redhat.com)

... while talking to int-mx1.corp.redhat.com.:
>>> RCPT To:<bug-gcc-in@cygnus.com>
<<< 553 5.3.0 <bug-gcc-in@cygnus.com>... is now part of Red Hat please see www.redhat.com
550 5.1.1 <bug-gcc-in@cygnus.com>... User unknown

[-- Attachment #2.1.2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2187 bytes --]

From: Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com>
To: eviler <eviler@iguana.ums.gov.pl>
Cc: bug-gcc@gnu.org
Subject: Re: bug on all gcc :)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 13:56:10 -0800

eviler <eviler@iguana.ums.gov.pl> writes:

> Hello
>
> I found bug in all version of gcc(without gcc-2.95.3 2.95.4).

You did not tell us what the bug was, and your description of how to
reproduce the bug is not precise enough for us to actually do anything
with it.

Please send us:

- The preprocessed source of the problematic file.  You can get this
  by adding -save-temps to the gcc command line.
- The gcc command line that you used.
- The error messages that you get from gcc, assuming that you get
  error messages.  Or, if you don't, tell us what does go wrong.

zw

* Re: Bad redirections from gnu.org to gcc.gnu.org
@ 2002-11-20 14:24 ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2002-11-20 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Probably not a sources.redhat.com thing but a cygnus.com thing--after
the initial mailing list migration, there weren't any linkages
between the cygnus.com and sourceware.cygnus.com mailers.

@ 2002-11-20 16:34   ` Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2002-11-20 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Molenda; +Cc: overseers

Jason Molenda <jason-swarelist@molenda.com> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 02:08:16PM -0800, Zack Weinberg wrote:
>>
>> I got this bounce -- it looks like bug-gcc@gnu.org is being forwarded
>> to some weird address @cygnus.com instead of gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
>> which would be the sensible place to send it.
> Probably not a sources.redhat.com thing but a cygnus.com thing--after
> the initial mailing list migration, there weren't any linkages
> between the cygnus.com and sourceware.cygnus.com mailers.

I'm pretty sure the problem is at gnu.org.  It's just that I don't
have access to those machines and I suspect some people on here do.

@ 2002-11-20 16:46     ` Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2002-11-20 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zack Weinberg; +Cc: Jason Molenda, overseers

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 04:34:44PM -0800, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> Jason Molenda <jason-swarelist@molenda.com> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 02:08:16PM -0800, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> >>
> >> I got this bounce -- it looks like bug-gcc@gnu.org is being forwarded
> >> to some weird address @cygnus.com instead of gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
> >> which would be the sensible place to send it.
> > Probably not a sources.redhat.com thing but a cygnus.com thing--after
> > the initial mailing list migration, there weren't any linkages
> > between the cygnus.com and sourceware.cygnus.com mailers.
>
> I'm pretty sure the problem is at gnu.org.  It's just that I don't
> have access to those machines and I suspect some people on here do.

The aliases file for gnu.org is a living, breathing, screaming, sludge-
covered example of well-intentioned anarchy gone horribly wrong.  The kindest
thing anybody could do for the FSF would be to delete it and start from
scratch.

Anyhow, here's the block of aliases dealing with bug-gcc:

    bug-gcc-request: gcc-bugs-subscribe@gcc.gnu.org
    bug-gcc: bug-gcc-just1,
        kenner@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu
    bug-gcc-just1:
        bug-gcc-non-usenet
    #	bug-gcc-usenet,
    bug-gcc-non-usenet:
        bug-gcc-no-archive,
        bug-gcc-archive
    bug-gcc-archive: /com/archive/gnu/current/bug-gcc
    bug-gcc-usenet: bug-gcc-mn@uunet.uu.net
    owner-bug-gcc-usenet:   gnulists-usenet-ownrr
    # moderated group: no -nm: alias needed
    # no local subscribers yet:     bug-gcc-dist,
    bug-gcc-no-archive:
        bug-gcc-non-local,
        bug-gcc-local
    bug-gcc-local:
        gcc-maintainers
    bug-gcc-non-local: gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
    gnu.gcc.bug: bug-gcc
    gnu-gcc-bug: gnu.gcc.bug
    #for the ignorant:
    bug-gnu-gcc: bug-gcc

Stepping through that, ahem, grammar, leaves only the gcc-maintainers
address as a possible culprit, and indeed, its lines are:

    gcc-maintainers:
        bug-gcc-in@cygnus.com,
        tege@swox.com

Suggestions?

Also, anybody else who has access to gnu.org /and/ who knows Emacs, feel free
to step up and help out.  :-)  The aliases file can only be edited by Emacs,
because its save-and-exit hooks are what do file backups, alias database
rebuilding, etc, etc.  I could do it by hand, probably, but maybe not.

Phil

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002

* Re: Bad redirections from gnu.org to gcc.gnu.org
@ 2002-11-22 13:29       ` Hans-Peter Nilsson
From: Hans-Peter Nilsson @ 2002-11-22 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Edwards; +Cc: Zack Weinberg, Jason Molenda, overseers

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Phil Edwards wrote:
>     gcc-maintainers:
>         bug-gcc-in@cygnus.com,
>         tege@swox.com

I removed the "bug-gcc-in@cygnus.com," line, adding a comment
as you probably noticed through two other noisy messages.
The bug-gcc@gnu.org messages already go to gcc-bugs@ through a
different twisty passage (there's a statue of RMS here!).  I
suppose bug-gcc-in@cygnus.com was some internal RH list; they'll
have to fix this or preferrably just subscribe their bug-gcc-in
to gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org.

Doing this, I hope I didn't scre