From: Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com>
To: Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com>
Cc: Caroline Tice <ctice@apple.com>,
	overseers@sources.redhat.com, Geoff Keating <geoffk@apple.com>
Subject: Re: problem with form for applying for cvs write privileges
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:26:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> Usually we only provide CVS write access to developers who have
>> contributed regularily, not to those who perhaps will contribute
>> regularily.
>>
> >That has been our policy, as far as I understand [...]
> In the case of Red Hat folks the policy *is* followed strictly.

Sorry, that was ambiguous: from the overseers side, the policy definitely
has been followed strictly.

What I ment is that (apparently) in the case of some Red Hat employees
GCC maintainers sponsored accounts relatively liberaly. I just checked
our MAINTAINERS file, and if you do an

  egrep \
    'Tom Rix|Jeff Knaggs|Matthew Hiller|Chandra Chavva|Michael Tiemann' \
    ChangeLog* */ChangeLog* */*/ChangeLog*

you'll see what I mean (Michael Tiemann being a very special case,
though ;-) ).

> However, the policy is only that a maintainer has to elect you before
> you are granted access.  It seemed like Geoff Keating was doing this.
> Was that not the case?  If it wasn't, I'll revoke the account.

If Geoff okayed it, it's okay. My response was more like "Perhaps we
(GCC folks) should not hand out accounts too easily, given security
considerations and long term maintainance".

Gerald
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)   gerald@pfeifer.com   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/