* GNATS-only accounts and Bugzilla
@ 2003-04-10 10:50 Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2003-04-10 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Berlin, overseers; +Cc: Wolfgang Bangerth

Overseers, Dan,

currently we have a few GNATS-only account for contributors who help
with GNATS but did not need CVS write access.

How should we handle these when switching to Bugzilla? Should we create
regular accounts on gcc.gnu.org for them (so that they have a gcc.gnu.org
mail address)?

I'm asking because Wolfgang has suggested a new GNATS-only account, and
if we plan to switch such accounts anyway, we probably should start doing
so now and avoid creating any further GNATS-only accounts.

Gerald
--
Gerald "Jerry"   pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/

* Re: GNATS-only accounts and Bugzilla
@ 2003-04-10 16:08 ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2003-04-10 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: overseers, Wolfgang Bangerth

On Thursday, April 10, 2003, at 06:42  AM, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> Overseers, Dan,
>
> currently we have a few GNATS-only account for contributors who help
> with GNATS but did not need CVS write access.
>
> How should we handle these when switching to Bugzilla? Should we create
> regular accounts on gcc.gnu.org for them (so that they have a
> gcc.gnu.org
> mail address)?
This is easiest, to be honest.
Only because then they fall under the auto-group regexp (IE any account
matching *.gcc.gnu.org has edit access, without having to be explicitly
added).

One can explicitly add bugzilla accounts to the appropriate groups, but
if you can avoid having to do it, ...

> I'm asking because Wolfgang has suggested a new GNATS-only account, and
> if we plan to switch such accounts anyway, we probably should start
> doing
> so now and avoid creating any further GNATS-only accounts.
>
> Gerald
> --
> Gerald "Jerry"   pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at
> http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/

* Re: GNATS-only accounts and Bugzilla
@ 2003-04-10 16:11   ` Christopher Faylor
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-04-10 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Berlin; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer, overseers, Wolfgang Bangerth

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 12:08:43PM -0400, Daniel Berlin wrote:

>On Thursday, April 10, 2003, at 06:42  AM, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>
>>Overseers, Dan,
>>
>>currently we have a few GNATS-only account for contributors who help
>>with GNATS but did not need CVS write access.
>>
>>How should we handle these when switching to Bugzilla? Should we create
>>regular accounts on gcc.gnu.org for them (so that they have a
>>gcc.gnu.org
>>mail address)?
>This is easiest, to be honest.

Yow.  Easier for you maybe.

How many accounts are we talking about?  Does anyone know?

cgf

* Re: GNATS-only accounts and Bugzilla
@ 2003-04-10 16:14     ` Wolfgang Bangerth
From: Wolfgang Bangerth @ 2003-04-10 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: Daniel Berlin, Gerald Pfeifer, overseers

> How many accounts are we talking about?  Does anyone know?

At present about 1 1/2: The one for Giovanni, and while we're at it maybe
for me if that would make things simpler (I don't know of anyone except
for me who has _only_ a gnats account; even if there are some out there,
it can only be a hand full).

W.

Wolfgang Bangerth              email:            bangerth@ices.utexas.edu
                               www: http://www.ices.utexas.edu/~bangerth/

* Re: GNATS-only accounts and Bugzilla
@ 2003-04-10 18:32     ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2003-04-10 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer, overseers, Wolfgang Bangerth

On Thursday, April 10, 2003, at 12:11  PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 12:08:43PM -0400, Daniel Berlin wrote:
>>
>> On Thursday, April 10, 2003, at 06:42  AM, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>>
>>> Overseers, Dan,
>>>
>>> currently we have a few GNATS-only account for contributors who help
>>> with GNATS but did not need CVS write access.
>>>
>>> How should we handle these when switching to Bugzilla? Should we
>>> create
>>> regular accounts on gcc.gnu.org for them (so that they have a
>>> gcc.gnu.org
>>> mail address)?
>> This is easiest, to be honest.
>
> Yow.  Easier for you maybe.

Err, they need no shell access, no cvs access, no nothing, just an
account.

Like I said, if it's that much of a burden, we can just add them to the
appropriate groups by hand, it's just done automatically if they have a
gcc.gnu.org account.

@ 2003-04-10 21:21     ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2003-04-10 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: Daniel Berlin, overseers, Wolfgang Bangerth

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>> How should we handle these when switching to Bugzilla? Should we
>>> create regular accounts on gcc.gnu.org for them (so that they have a
>>> gcc.gnu.org mail address)?
>> This is easiest, to be honest.
> Yow.  Easier for you maybe.
>
> How many accounts are we talking about?  Does anyone know?

Yup. From the GCC MAINTAINERS file, which I tried to update some time
ago and keep up to date since then:

  GNATS only accounts

  Wolfgang Bangerth       bangerth         bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu
  James Dennett           jdennett         jdennett@acm.org
  Christian Ehrhardt      cae              ehrhardt@mathematik.uni-ulm.de

  Peter Bienstman(?)
  Benjamin Chelf(?)
  Mark Galassi(?)

I'd ignore those with (?) after their names, as they probably haven't
done anything for a long time.  The other three (plus the new one that
triggered my question) are quite actively working on our GNATS database,
as far as I can tell.

What's your preference? Should I add the new GNATS guy to the GNATS
config (and Daniel, me, or someone else later to Bugzilla), or shall
we have accounts for them?

Gerald

PS: If you are concerned about "dead" accounts, indeed a couple of GCC
maintainers, at least, seem to be MIA.  Perhaps we should have a little
script that weeds out maintainers which have not made single commit for,
say 18 or 24 months, locks their account and pings them, and then remove
these accounts after another, say 6 months?
--

@ 2003-04-24 15:51       ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2003-04-24 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: Daniel Berlin, overseers, Wolfgang Bangerth

I believe we didn't come to a final conclusion here.  Cgf, as current
master of the sourceware masters, I think you ought to have the final
say. ;-)

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> Yup. From the GCC MAINTAINERS file, which I tried to update some time
> ago and keep up to date since then:
>
>   GNATS only accounts
>
>   Wolfgang Bangerth       bangerth         bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu
>   James Dennett           jdennett         jdennett@acm.org
>   Christian Ehrhardt      cae              ehrhardt@mathematik.uni-ulm.de
>
>   Peter Bienstman(?)
>   Benjamin Chelf(?)
>   Mark Galassi(?)
>
> I'd ignore those with (?) after their names, as they probably haven't
> done anything for a long time.  The other three (plus the new one that
> triggered my question) are quite actively working on our GNATS database,
> as far as I can tell.
>
> What's your preference? Should I add the new GNATS guy to the GNATS
> config (and Daniel, me, or someone else later to Bugzilla), or shall
> we have accounts for them?

Gerald