* texinfo 4.8 update
@ 2005-02-10 23:27 Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2005-02-10 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers; +Cc: Ben Elliston

Could we please have texinfo updated to version 4.8 on sourceware?

This contains some changes triggered by reports of mine.  I believe
Ben has already tested this version as well (and reported an issue
that has been resolved for the final release).

Gerald

* Re: texinfo 4.8 update
@ 2005-02-11 21:25 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2005-02-11 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: overseers, Ben Elliston

Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com> writes:

> Could we please have texinfo updated to version 4.8 on sourceware?
>
> This contains some changes triggered by reports of mine.  I believe
> Ben has already tested this version as well (and reported an issue
> that has been resolved for the final release).

In general we try to keep sourceware on supported RPMs using up2date
whenever possible.  That makes it much easier for us to keep the
system up to date with security patches and bug fixes.  up2date can't
yet find a texinfo 4.8 RPM.

Is this something we can work around until RHL upgrades to texinfo
4.8?

Ian

* Re: texinfo 4.8 update
@ 2005-02-12  0:02   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-02-12  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Ben Elliston, Gerald Pfeifer, Ian Lance Taylor

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 09:23:03AM -0500, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com> writes:
>>Could we please have texinfo updated to version 4.8 on sourceware?
>>
>>This contains some changes triggered by reports of mine.  I believe Ben
>>has already tested this version as well (and reported an issue that has
>>been resolved for the final release).
>
>In general we try to keep sourceware on supported RPMs using up2date
>whenever possible.  That makes it much easier for us to keep the system
>up to date with security patches and bug fixes.  up2date can't yet find
>a texinfo 4.8 RPM.

I've been treating texinfo as a special case and updating it outside of
the normal up2date offerings for a while now.  The RHEL version is 4.5-3
while the one on sourceware is 4.7-4.  This is one of the packages that
I made sure got updated when we regenerated the root partition.  I do
try to stick with rpms, though, rather than rolling our own release.

So, the 4.7-4 version that we're running was put there very recently and
it was the newest rpm I found.  I don't see any 4.8 versions available
but I'll update sourceware when one does show up.

cgf

* Re: texinfo 4.8 update
@ 2005-02-12  0:21     ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2005-02-12  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: overseers, Ben Elliston, Gerald Pfeifer

Christopher Faylor <me@cgf.cx> writes:

> I've been treating texinfo as a special case and updating it outside of
> the normal up2date offerings for a while now.

Oh, OK.

Ian

* Re: texinfo 4.8 update
@ 2005-02-12  1:54     ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2005-02-12  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor
  Cc: overseers, Ben Elliston, Gerald Pfeifer, Ian Lance Taylor

On Feb 10, 2005, Christopher Faylor <me@cgf.cx> wrote:

> So, the 4.7-4 version that we're running was put there very recently and
> it was the newest rpm I found.  I don't see any 4.8 versions available
> but I'll update sourceware when one does show up.

There are texinfo 4.8 rpms in the Fedora development tree (AKA
rawhide), FWIW.

* Re: texinfo 4.8 update
@ 2005-02-12 18:39       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-02-12 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 01:15:51PM -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>On Feb 10, 2005, Christopher Faylor <me@cgf.cx> wrote:
>>So, the 4.7-4 version that we're running was put there very recently
>>and it was the newest rpm I found.  I don't see any 4.8 versions
>>available but I'll update sourceware when one does show up.
>
>There are texinfo 4.8 rpms in the Fedora development tree (AKA
>rawhide), FWIW.

Ok.  The binary package doesn't install but it seemed to build nicely
from source rpm, so this package is now installed.

Thanks for the pointer, lxo.

cgf

* Re: texinfo 4.8 update
@ 2005-02-13 15:04         ` Gerald Pfeifer