* Cygwin ml's not working?
@ 2003-07-13 19:02 Elfyn McBratney
From: Elfyn McBratney @ 2003-07-13 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hi,

Me again. :-) When trying to post to cygwin AT cygwin DOT com or
cygwin-developers AT cygwin DOT com I get "no mailbox here by that name", and
"no forwarding information" for the latter, from qmail; hostname doesn't seem
to matter.

Is there something wrong?

Elfyn

--
Elfyn McBratney, EMCB  |  http://www.nongnu.org/wwwauth/
http://www.emcb.co.uk  |  http://www.emcb.co.uk/webauth/

* Re: Cygwin ml's not working?
@ 2003-07-13 21:00 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2003-07-13 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elfyn McBratney; +Cc: overseers

Elfyn McBratney <elfyn@emcb.co.uk> writes:

> Me again. :-) When trying to post to cygwin AT cygwin DOT com or
> cygwin-developers AT cygwin DOT com I get "no mailbox here by that name", and
> "no forwarding information" for the latter, from qmail; hostname doesn't seem
> to matter.
>
> Is there something wrong?

I dunno.  I assume that you are receiving a bounce message, since
qmail does not fail e-mail immediately.  Can you send a complete copy
of that bounce message including all headers?

Ian

* Re: Cygwin ml's not working?
@ 2003-07-13 21:37   ` Elfyn McBratney
From: Elfyn McBratney @ 2003-07-13 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> Elfyn McBratney <elfyn@emcb.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Me again. :-) When trying to post to cygwin AT cygwin DOT com or
> > cygwin-developers AT cygwin DOT com I get "no mailbox here by that name", and
> > "no forwarding information" for the latter, from qmail; hostname doesn't seem
> > to matter.
> >
> > Is there something wrong?
>
> I dunno.  I assume that you are receiving a bounce message, since
> qmail does not fail e-mail immediately.  Can you send a complete copy
> of that bounce message including all headers?

Here's one from earlier

  Date: 13 Jul 2003 18:59:47 -0000
  From: MAILER-DAEMON@sources.redhat.com
  To: elfyn@emcb.co.uk
  Subject: failure notice

  Hi. This is the qmail-send program at sources.redhat.com.

  Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 19:59:53 +0100
  From: Elfyn McBratney <elfyn@emcb.co.uk>
  To: cygwin-apps@sources.redhat.com
  Subject: test - please ignote

@ 2003-07-13 22:08     ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2003-07-13 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elfyn McBratney; +Cc: overseers

Elfyn McBratney <elfyn@emcb.co.uk> writes:

> > > Me again. :-) When trying to post to cygwin AT cygwin DOT com or
> > > cygwin-developers AT cygwin DOT com I get "no mailbox here by that name", and
> > > "no forwarding information" for the latter, from qmail; hostname doesn't seem
> > > to matter.
> > >
> > > Is there something wrong?
> >
> > I dunno.  I assume that you are receiving a bounce message, since
> > qmail does not fail e-mail immediately.  Can you send a complete copy
> > of that bounce message including all headers?
>
> Here's one from earlier

Thanks.  It's a mildly amusing problem.  Somebody just added a user
named `cygwin' to /etc/passwd.  Because the user `cygwin' exists, the
e-mail address `cygwin-apps@sources.redhat.com' is controlled by that
user.

In effect, adding the user `cygwin' has broken the mailing list named
`cygwin', as well as every mailing list which starts with `cygwin-'.

There are several ways to fix this, based on qmail's rules:

1) Remove the user `cygwin'.
2) Change the user `cygwin' to have a zero uid.
3) Remove the home directory /home/cygwin.
4) Change /home/cygwin so that it is not owned by `cygwin'.

Since I don't know why the user `cygwin' was added, I don't know which
of these fixes would be best.

Ian

* Re: Cygwin ml's not working?
@ 2003-07-13 22:10       ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2003-07-13 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elfyn McBratney; +Cc: overseers

Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> writes:

> There are several ways to fix this, based on qmail's rules:
>
> 1) Remove the user `cygwin'.
> 2) Change the user `cygwin' to have a zero uid.
> 3) Remove the home directory /home/cygwin.
> 4) Change /home/cygwin so that it is not owned by `cygwin'.

Oh yeah, another, less desirable, fix would be to move all the
symlinks for all the cygwin lists to /home/cygwin, with appropriate
renaming.

Ian

* Re: cygwin ml's not working?
@ 2003-07-13 22:13       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-07-13 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, elfyn

On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 03:08:30PM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

>> > I dunno.  I assume that you are receiving a bounce message, since
>> > qmail does not fail e-mail immediately.  Can you send a complete copy
>> > of that bounce message including all headers?
>>
>> Here's one from earlier
>
>Thanks.  It's a mildly amusing problem.  Somebody just added a user
>named `cygwin' to /etc/passwd.  Because the user `cygwin' exists, the
>e-mail address `cygwin-apps@sources.redhat.com' is controlled by that
>user.
>
>In effect, adding the user `cygwin' has broken the mailing list named
>`cygwin', as well as every mailing list which starts with `cygwin-'.
>
>There are several ways to fix this, based on qmail's rules:
>
>1) Remove the user `cygwin'.
>2) Change the user `cygwin' to have a zero uid.
>3) Remove the home directory /home/cygwin.
>4) Change /home/cygwin so that it is not owned by `cygwin'.
>
>Since I don't know why the user `cygwin' was added, I don't know which
>of these fixes would be best.

I just added the cygwin user earlier today.  When I saw the bug report,
I realized what had happened and renamed it to something else.

* Re: cygwin ml's not working?
@ 2003-07-13 22:18         ` Elfyn McBratney
From: Elfyn McBratney @ 2003-07-13 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >> Here's one from earlier
> >
> >Thanks.  It's a mildly amusing problem.  Somebody just added a user
> >named `cygwin' to /etc/passwd.  Because the user `cygwin' exists, the
> >e-mail address `cygwin-apps@sources.redhat.com' is controlled by that
> >user.
> >
> >In effect, adding the user `cygwin' has broken the mailing list named
> >`cygwin', as well as every mailing list which starts with `cygwin-'.
> >
> >There are several ways to fix this, based on qmail's rules:
> >
> >1) Remove the user `cygwin'.
> >2) Change the user `cygwin' to have a zero uid.
> >3) Remove the home directory /home/cygwin.
> >4) Change /home/cygwin so that it is not owned by `cygwin'.
> >
> >Since I don't know why the user `cygwin' was added, I don't know which
> >of these fixes would be best.
>
> I just added the cygwin user earlier today.  When I saw the bug report,
> I realized what had happened and renamed it to something else.

Thanks for the help... There was me thinking I could forget cygwin for
tonight <g>