* mysterious reboots
@ 2004-04-08 17:46 Angela Marie Thomas
From: Angela Marie Thomas @ 2004-04-08 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

This is the second or third time in recent memory that the system
has mysteriously rebooted with no one owning up to doing it.
I'm very concerned about this.  Every time there's a mysterious
reboot, I have to prepare for the potential for a complete system
reload from backups or at the very least some kind of verification
that the files are OK.

I'd very much like to get to the bottom of mysterious reboots.
So far all of the usual suspects have replied to the current thread
and none have owned up to doing the reboot.  This implies to me
that the system spontaneously rebooted which I consder a pretty
bad sign.  Can we please have a rule that anyone who reboots the
system or authorizes a reboot of the system must notify overseers,
preferably before the fact, so we all know what is going on?

WRT the backups specifically, they still run every night.  However,
the system was down while the backups tried to run last night so
my snapshot is from Wed morning with an incomplete /sourceware/www
backup.  I'm doing a rsync -n run right now to see how much data
wants to be updated.

--Angela