* Load average is too low
@ 2004-05-07 22:23 Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2004-05-07 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

The load average on sourceware.org is very very low.  Less than 1.

Clearly we should change the IP address more often.

Ian

* Re: Load average is too low
@ 2004-05-07 22:24 ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2004-05-07 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: overseers

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 06:20:37PM -0400, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> The load average on sourceware.org is very very low.  Less than 1.
>
> Clearly we should change the IP address more often.

I think a similar technique could help the spam problems.
On a predetermined day we call the system gcc-rulez.gnu.org
and sources-are-for-me.org and we don't forward any e-mail from
the old hostnames.  Jump to new hostnames once a year or so.
That'll show 'em.

* Re: Load average is too low
@ 2004-05-08  2:57 ` Matthew Galgoci
From: Matthew Galgoci @ 2004-05-08  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: overseers

On 7 May 2004, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> The load average on sourceware.org is very very low.  Less than 1.
>
> Clearly we should change the IP address more often.
>
> Ian

The extra 2GB of ram might have something to do with it expecially if we're
not touching swap anymore.

--
Matthew Galgoci
System Administrator and Sr. Manager of Ruminants

* Re: Load average is too low
@ 2004-05-08  3:02   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-05-08  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 03:23:54PM -0700, Jason Molenda wrote:
>On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 06:20:37PM -0400, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>> The load average on sourceware.org is very very low.  Less than 1.
>>
>> Clearly we should change the IP address more often.
>

>I think a similar technique could help the spam problems.  On a
>predetermined day we call the system gcc-rulez.gnu.org and
>sources-are-for-me.org and we don't forward any e-mail from the old
>hostnames.  Jump to new hostnames once a year or so.  That'll show 'em.

It seems like the first people to notice the new IP address change were
the spammers, though.  They're a resourceful, dedicated bunch.  Don't you
just have to respect their hard work and determination?

cgf