* CVS repository damaged or bug in cvsweb?
@ 2004-07-23 13:05 Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2004-07-23 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: overseers

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/gcc/gcc/config/i386/i386.c

  Does anyone know why does this file only have a history going back to

Revision 1.659 / (download) - annotate - [select for diffs] , Tue Mar 16
20:37:18 2004 UTC (4 months ago) by bonzini

whereas for instance i386.md has a complete history log going back to

Revision 1.1 / (download) - annotate - [select for diffs] , Mon Aug 11
15:57:16 1997 UTC (6 years, 11 months ago) by law

    ?

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: CVS repository damaged or bug in cvsweb?
@ 2004-07-25  4:14 ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2004-07-25  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Korn; +Cc: gcc, overseers

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Dave Korn wrote:

> http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/gcc/gcc/config/i386/i386.c
>

>   Does anyone know why does this file only have a history going back to
>
> Revision 1.659 / (download) - annotate - [select for diffs] , Tue Mar 16
> 20:37:18 2004 UTC (4 months ago) by bonzini

That would be bug 11335.  cvsweb appears to work by parsing the cvs log
output.  Because log messages are free-form and can contain arbitrary
binary data, in particular data that looks just like the headings and
dividers generated by cvs log, this cannot work in general and certain log
messages confuse cvsweb.  The only robust way of doing things is to parse
the ,v file directly rather than trying to parse the output of cvs log.
I don't know whether more recent versions of cvsweb, or alternatives to
cvsweb, do things properly.

--
Joseph S. Myers               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~jsm28/gcc/
    jsm@polyomino.org.uk (personal mail)