From: Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org>
Cc: Elena Zannoni <ezannoni@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: BBB instances
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 01:04:34 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Elena,

On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 02:41:06PM -0600, Elena Zannoni via Overseers wrote:
> one of the things that was discussed at Cauldron was that it would be
> good to have BBB easily available for community meetings etc. Imagine a
> group of developers want to exchange ideas about some implementation
> details, etc. If they could just jump onto a BBB room on sourceware it
> would be a cool thing to have.
>
> Any thoughts on doing something like that?

So from experience managing a jitsi server, this isn't really zero
maintenance. BBB (and jitsi) aren't really packaged software and you
must update and tweak the setup regularly because of client changes.

The best we probably could do with the current setup and technical
volunteers is setup a mumble server https://www.mumble.info/ which is
packaged and seems to mostly be zero maintenance.

But that is voice only. For video (and screen sharing) I am happy to
see various people/organisations exchanging their BBB
setup/infrastructure. We should collect all that information and see
which resources are needed and if we can find a (paid) volunteer to
set something up. Creating a clear plan of initial setup cost,
server/bandwidth costs and periodic maintenance costs. The SFC can
then help us setup a crowdfunding campaign for that.

Looking at some of the projects that are already using video chats
(valgrind has a developer chat every couple of months, gccrs a monthly
one, both on meet.jit.si, and glibc has a weekly patch review session
on some proprietary system and the SFC video chats). I would say that
initially we would just need to support one or two simultanious
sessions of 6 till 12 participants (with often just up to 4 using
video at the same time). It would be nice to be able to scale up a
bit. But I think we should not try to make it scale to something
conference size.

Cheers,

Mark