From: Joseph Myers <joseph@codesourcery.com>
To: Joel Brobecker via Overseers <overseers@sourceware.org>
Cc: Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com>,
	Carlos O'Donell <carlos@systemhalted.org>,
	Corinna Vinschen <vinschen@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: transition git-hooks on sourceware.org to Python 3.x
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 22:20:09 +0000	[thread overview]

On Sun, 12 Dec 2021, Joel Brobecker via Overseers wrote:

> For this, what I'd like to propose is that we use a set of wrapper
> scripts which provide the same hooks as the git-hooks, and which
> only do the following: add the correct Python to the PATH, and
> then call the real hook script in git-hooks.

Adding to PATH, or other such variables, seems like it would also affect
external programs in hooks-bin run via configuration settings in the hooks
configuration (where those use "#! /usr/bin/env python3" or "#!
/usr/bin/env python", for example).  Have you concluded that this will
work OK for the existing hooks-bin code for the various repositories
(including the use of packages in
/home/gccadmin/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages from GCC's
commit_checker script)?

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com