* http://sourceware.org/gettext/ abandoned
@ 2009-10-10 12:31 Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2009-10-10 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Looking at http://sourceware.org/gettext/ versus
http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/ it is obvious that the former has
been abandoned.  The -announce mailing list archives do not have a single
message over the last ten years, for example.

How do we usually handle such a case?

Gerald

* Re: http://sourceware.org/gettext/ abandoned
@ 2009-10-10 15:09 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2009-10-10 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Gerald Pfeifer

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 02:31:50PM +0200, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>Looking at http://sourceware.org/gettext/ versus
>http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/ it is obvious that the former has
>been abandoned.  The -announce mailing list archives do not have a single
>message over the last ten years, for example.
>
>How do we usually handle such a case?

I think I usually say "I'd like to delete this" and someone says "Oh no!
There are still people in Albania who rely on this web site for their
sole survival! If you delete it, thousands will perish!!!!"

But, really, I think we should archive the contents, remove the web site
and the, mailing list.

On a similar note, what about elix?  That seems to be in a similar state.

cgf

* Re: http://sourceware.org/gettext/ abandoned
@ 2009-10-23 14:12   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2009-10-23 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On a similar note, what about elix?  That seems to be in a similar state.

Yes it can be brought down.

Jifl

* Re: http://sourceware.org/gettext/ abandoned
@ 2009-10-23 16:37   ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2009-10-23 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Gerald Pfeifer

Hi -

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 11:09:10AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> [...]
> >How do we usually handle such a case?
>
> I think I usually say "I'd like to delete this" and someone says "Oh no!
> There are still people in Albania who rely on this web site for their
> sole survival! If you delete it, thousands will perish!!!!" [...]

If the costs of keeping this stuff online are in the noise, let's keep
it archived on line, being in a small way curators of history.  (If
they crowd with the projects-list web page, then let's move them
somewhere down the list.)

- FChE

* Re: http://sourceware.org/gettext/ abandoned
@ 2009-10-23 17:52     ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2009-10-23 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: overseers, Gerald Pfeifer

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

> Hi -
>
> On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 11:09:10AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> > [...]
> > >How do we usually handle such a case?
> >
> > I think I usually say "I'd like to delete this" and someone says "Oh no!
> > There are still people in Albania who rely on this web site for their
> > sole survival! If you delete it, thousands will perish!!!!" [...]
>
> If the costs of keeping this stuff online are in the noise, let's keep
> it archived on line, being in a small way curators of history.  (If
> they crowd with the projects-list web page, then let's move them
> somewhere down the list.)

If there's another (current) website for the same project, permanent HTTP
redirects to the current site seem the best approach.  I only see a single
page on the http://sourceware.org/gettext/ site so redirecting to
http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/ should be very easy.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com

* Re: http://sourceware.org/gettext/ abandoned
@ 2009-10-24 14:47       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2009-10-24 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler, overseers, Gerald Pfeifer, Joseph S. Myers

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 05:52:28PM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
>On Fri, 23 Oct 2009, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
>>On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 11:09:10AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>>[...]
>>>
>>>I think I usually say "I'd like to delete this" and someone says "Oh
>>>no! There are still people in Albania who rely on this web site for
>>>their sole survival! If you delete it, thousands will perish!!!!" [...]
>>
>>If the costs of keeping this stuff online are in the noise, let's keep
>>it archived on line, being in a small way curators of history.  (If
>>they crowd with the projects-list web page, then let's move them
>>somewhere down the list.)
>
>If there's another (current) website for the same project, permanent
>HTTP redirects to the current site seem the best approach.  I only see
>a single page on the http://sourceware.org/gettext/ site so redirecting
>to http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/ should be very easy.

Agreed.  Keeping an obsolete site active for nebulous archival purposes
is not helping anyone.

I don't see any reason to keep an archive around either.  If this is
really important, I'll bet most of this stuff is already archived at
archive.org.

cgf

* Re: http://sourceware.org/gettext/ abandoned
@ 2010-01-02 15:19         ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2010-01-02 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers; +Cc: Joseph S. Myers

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> If there's another (current) website for the same project, permanent
>> HTTP redirects to the current site seem the best approach.  I only see
>> a single page on the http://sourceware.org/gettext/ site so redirecting
>> to http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/ should be very easy.
> Agreed.  Keeping an obsolete site active for nebulous archival purposes
> is not helping anyone.
>
> I don't see any reason to keep an archive around either.  If this is
> really important, I'll bet most of this stuff is already archived at
> archive.org.

Somehow http://sourceware.org/gettext/ still is "active", though.  Was
anyone going to add the redirect?  If not, I can certainly give it a try.

@ 2010-01-14 16:48           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2010-01-14 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Gerald Pfeifer

On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 04:19:29PM +0100, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>On Sat, 24 Oct 2009, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>> If there's another (current) website for the same project, permanent
>>> HTTP redirects to the current site seem the best approach.  I only see
>>> a single page on the http://sourceware.org/gettext/ site so redirecting
>>> to http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/ should be very easy.
>> Agreed.  Keeping an obsolete site active for nebulous archival purposes
>> is not helping anyone.
>>
>> I don't see any reason to keep an archive around either.  If this is
>> really important, I'll bet most of this stuff is already archived at
>> archive.org.
>
>Somehow http://sourceware.org/gettext/ still is "active", though.  Was
>anyone going to add the redirect?  If not, I can certainly give it a try.

Many months later: I've finally gotten around to this.  Attempts to
access http://sourceware.org/gettext will be redirected to
http://sourceware.org/gettext .

Sorry about the delay.

cgf