* Is it possible to remove CVS tags?
@ 2005-06-09  0:51 Diego Novillo
From: Diego Novillo @ 2005-06-09  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

I fat-fingered a branch creation today.  Is it possible to remove
the broken tags?  It's not a big deal but the broken tags look
similar to the good tags, so they may confuse people.

Thanks.  Diego.

* Re: Is it possible to remove CVS tags?
@ 2005-06-09  0:55 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2005-06-09  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Novillo; +Cc: overseers

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 20:28 -0400, Diego Novillo wrote:
> I fat-fingered a branch creation today.  Is it possible to remove
> the broken tags?  It's not a big deal but the broken tags look
> similar to the good tags, so they may confuse people.
It is possible, but I don't remember the magic to do so offhand.
I think you'll have to consult the CVS manual.

jeff

* Re: Is it possible to remove CVS tags?
@ 2005-06-09  0:58   ` Diego Novillo
From: Diego Novillo @ 2005-06-09  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey A Law; +Cc: overseers

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 06:51:24PM -0600, Jeffrey A Law wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 20:28 -0400, Diego Novillo wrote:
> > I fat-fingered a branch creation today.  Is it possible to remove
> > the broken tags?  It's not a big deal but the broken tags look
> > similar to the good tags, so they may confuse people.
> It is possible, but I don't remember the magic to do so offhand.
> I think you'll have to consult the CVS manual.

Oh, I can do this from the client?  Cool, I thought it was
something that needed to be done on the server.  I'll check it
out.

@ 2005-06-09  1:06     ` Angela Marie Thomas
From: Angela Marie Thomas @ 2005-06-09  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Novillo; +Cc: Jeffrey A Law, overseers

> Oh, I can do this from the client?  Cool, I thought it was
> something that needed to be done on the server.  I'll check it
> out.

cvs cvs rtag -d <tag>

I think you won't have any orphaned changes if you hadn't committed any
and I assume no one has checked it out yet so it shouldn't confuse anyone
trying to update their tree.

--Angela

* Re: Is it possible to remove CVS tags?
@ 2005-06-09  1:12       ` Diego Novillo
From: Diego Novillo @ 2005-06-09  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: angela; +Cc: overseers

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 07:40:46PM -0700, Angela Marie Thomas wrote:

> cvs cvs rtag -d <tag>
>
> I think you won't have any orphaned changes if you hadn't committed any
> and I assume no one has checked it out yet so it shouldn't confuse anyone
> trying to update their tree.

Thanks.  Yes, the tags were created today and I have not
announced them yet, so there shouldn't be any problem.

Since the manual has big warning signs before this command, I
want to double check before I do any damage.  The tags that I
want to remove are:

        gomp-branch-20050608-branch     (branch: 1.2636.6)
        gomp-branch-20050608-branchpoint        (revision: 1.2636)

So, the commands I'm going to use are:

$ cvs rtag -d -B gomp-branch-20050608-branch gcc
$ cvs rtag -d gomp-branch-20050608-branchpoint gcc

@ 2005-06-09  1:18 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2005-06-09  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Novillo; +Cc: overseers

Diego Novillo <dnovillo@redhat.com> writes:

> I fat-fingered a branch creation today.  Is it possible to remove
> the broken tags?  It's not a big deal but the broken tags look
> similar to the good tags, so they may confuse people.

Yes, it is possible.

In the spirit of "if you light a man a fire, he is warm for one night;
if you light a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life," a
couple of hints.  You can get general CVS usage via cvs --help.  You
can usage for a specific CVS subcommand via cvs --help CMD.

So cvs --help tag will show you that what you want to do is
    cvs tag -B -d TAG FILES

Ian

* Re: Is it possible to remove CVS tags?
@ 2005-06-09  9:49         ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2005-06-09  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Novillo; +Cc: overseers

Diego Novillo <dnovillo@redhat.com> writes:

> Since the manual has big warning signs before this command, I
> want to double check before I do any damage.  The tags that I
> want to remove are:
>
>         gomp-branch-20050608-branch     (branch: 1.2636.6)
>         gomp-branch-20050608-branchpoint        (revision: 1.2636)
>

> So, the commands I'm going to use are:
>
> $ cvs rtag -d -B gomp-branch-20050608-branch gcc
> $ cvs rtag -d gomp-branch-20050608-branchpoint gcc

Looks right to me.

Removing the branchpoint tag is no biggy.  If somebody has checked out
the branch tag, then removing the tag will leave them in an awkward
state.  If somebody has committed anything to the branch, there will
be unreachable revisions.  But presumably nobody has done that.

Ian