* sourceware irc channel?
@ 2004-05-21 18:33 Christopher Faylor
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-05-21 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Would it be worthwhile to have an external sourceware irc channel
so that we could discuss problems in real time?

cgf

* Re: sourceware irc channel?
@ 2004-05-21 18:43 ` Matthew Galgoci
From: Matthew Galgoci @ 2004-05-21 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: overseers

I just set up #overseers on irc.freenode.net

the channel is hidden and keyword protected

/join #overseers sourceware

The keyword is sourceware

Regards,

Matthew Galgoci

--
Matthew Galgoci
System Administrator and Sr. Manager of Ruminants

* Re: sourceware irc channel?
@ 2004-05-21 18:43 ` Ian Lance Taylor
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2004-05-21 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: overseers

Christopher Faylor <cgf@alum.bu.edu> writes:

> Would it be worthwhile to have an external sourceware irc channel
> so that we could discuss problems in real time?

Yes, I think that would be a good idea.

I've become an IRC convert since the New York Times explained how it
was the breeding ground of evil on the Internet:
    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/05/06/1325231&mode=thread&tid=126&tid=95

Ian

* Re: sourceware irc channel?
@ 2004-05-21 18:52 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2004-05-21 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hi -

> Would it be worthwhile to have an external sourceware irc channel
> so that we could discuss problems in real time?

Good idea.  One easy possibility: irc.freenode.net (already used
for various projects), #sourceware.

- FChE

* Re: sourceware irc channel?
@ 2004-05-21 18:57   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-05-21 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Galgoci; +Cc: overseers

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 02:33:20PM -0400, Matthew Galgoci wrote:

>I just set up #overseers on irc.freenode.net
>
>the channel is hidden and keyword protected
>
>/join #overseers sourceware
>
>The keyword is sourceware

This is exactly what I was going to do.  I guess that's a "yes".

cgf

* Re: sourceware irc channel?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-05-22  1:35 ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2004-05-22  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 02:05:11PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> Would it be worthwhile to have an external sourceware irc channel
> so that we could discuss problems in real time?

I've never used irc before (I'm a superluzer, I know); is there
anything I need to know when grabbing a client (like a type of
protocol or something)?  I'm on MacOS X so specific client
recommendations are unlikely to be help for me. ;-)

* Re: sourceware irc channel?
@ 2004-05-22  5:15   ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2004-05-22  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Molenda; +Cc: overseers

Jason Molenda <jason-swarelist@molenda.com> writes:

> On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 02:05:11PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> > Would it be worthwhile to have an external sourceware irc channel
> > so that we could discuss problems in real time?
>

> I've never used irc before (I'm a superluzer, I know); is there
> anything I need to know when grabbing a client (like a type of
> protocol or something)?  I'm on MacOS X so specific client
> recommendations are unlikely to be help for me. ;-)

The client needs to support the IRC protocol, which I think is the
oldest one.

Other chat/messaging protocols are AIM, ICQ, Yahoo!, MSN, Jabber, etc.
Although you didn't want a client recommendation, I'll mention that I
use the gaim client myself.

Ian

* Re: sourceware irc channel?
@ 2004-05-22  5:36   ` Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2004-05-22  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: Christopher Faylor, overseers

Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> writes:

> Christopher Faylor <cgf@alum.bu.edu> writes:
>
>> Would it be worthwhile to have an external sourceware irc channel
>> so that we could discuss problems in real time?
>
> Yes, I think that would be a good idea.

GCC development already has a channel on irc.oftc.net, #gcc - I can
create a #sourceware on that network if people like the idea.

zw