* files with strange ownership in /qmail/...
@ 2005-02-14 17:50 Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-02-14 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

I just got a bounce message from a moderated list that was due to one of
the files in the subscribers directory being owned by "qmails" rather
than "alias".  It seems as though the file was created around the time
of the system downtime.  There were a few files like this in the ezmlm
directories.

So, I have just swept through the gcc and sourceware mailing lists and
set all ownerships to alias:qmail and set the read bits on for all of
the subscriber files, as seems to be required.

I don't understand why a subscriber file would be owned by qmails.  I
guess it's possible that a bounce message might have eventually caused
a subscriber to be dropped but I wouldn't have expected the resulting
subscriber file to be owned by qmails.

Ian, do you understand why this would happen?

cgf

* Re: files with strange ownership in /qmail/...
@ 2005-02-16  8:08 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2005-02-16  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: overseers

Christopher Faylor <me@cgf.cx> writes:

> I just got a bounce message from a moderated list that was due to one of
> the files in the subscribers directory being owned by "qmails" rather
> than "alias".  It seems as though the file was created around the time
> of the system downtime.  There were a few files like this in the ezmlm
> directories.
>
> So, I have just swept through the gcc and sourceware mailing lists and
> set all ownerships to alias:qmail and set the read bits on for all of
> the subscriber files, as seems to be required.
>
> I don't understand why a subscriber file would be owned by qmails.  I
> guess it's possible that a bounce message might have eventually caused
> a subscriber to be dropped but I wouldn't have expected the resulting
> subscriber file to be owned by qmails.
>
> Ian, do you understand why this would happen?

No, I don't.  It should be impossible.  The only program which runs as
the qmails user is qmail-send, and qmail-send only creates files in
/sourceware/qmail/queue.

Ian