* Lots of gdb.log files for gdb-testresults?
@ 2001-10-01 22:32 Michael Elizabeth Chastain
From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain @ 2001-10-01 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hello,

I have a set of 8 gdb.log + gdb.sum files which I would like to post
to gdb-testresults.  These files are big: 2.2 megabytes for each gdb.log
file and 0.5 megabytes for each gdb.sum file.

Should I ...

(a) just mail them in, this is what gdb-testresults is for?

(b) mail in only the gdb.sum files?

(c) hold onto the files myself for now?

I have ambitions to scale up to 20-100 sets per week.  Also, the compression
ratio on these files is pretty good: gzip --best gives an 88.2% compression
ratio.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Michael C

* Re: Lots of gdb.log files for gdb-testresults?
@ 2001-10-02  8:33 ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2001-10-02  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Elizabeth Chastain; +Cc: overseers

Hi Michael,

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 08:02:44PM -0600, Michael Elizabeth Chastain wrote:

> I have a set of 8 gdb.log + gdb.sum files which I would like to post
> to gdb-testresults.  These files are big: 2.2 megabytes for each gdb.log
> file and 0.5 megabytes for each gdb.sum file.

> I have ambitions to scale up to 20-100 sets per week.  Also, the compression
> ratio on these files is pretty good: gzip --best gives an 88.2% compression
> ratio.

So we're talking about (2.7E+6 bytes * 0.12) * 50sets/week *
52weeks/year or around 842MB/year?  That's a pretty big chunk of
disk space - the past three years of list traffic only takes around
8GB of disk space for all ~150 mailing lists hosted on sourceware+gcc.
Is this information really going to be useful?  Could it be better
represented in diffs, or in some sort of SQL database?  Maybe the
gdb project maintainers would want to set up a ftp directory and
dump them in there or something like that. (but then the ftp site
mirrors would be forced to replicate all of it to their sites..)

I'm not responsible for sourceware, so my opinions aren't very
relevant :-), but that's a lot of disk space..

* Re: Lots of gdb.log files for gdb-testresults?
@ 2001-10-02 10:15   ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2001-10-02 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Molenda; +Cc: Michael Elizabeth Chastain, overseers

> So we're talking about (2.7E+6 bytes * 0.12) * 50sets/week *
> 52weeks/year or around 842MB/year?  That's a pretty big chunk of
> disk space - the past three years of list traffic only takes around
> 8GB of disk space for all ~150 mailing lists hosted on sourceware+gcc.
> Is this information really going to be useful?  Could it be better
> represented in diffs, or in some sort of SQL database?  Maybe the
> gdb project maintainers would want to set up a ftp directory and
> dump them in there or something like that. (but then the ftp site
> mirrors would be forced to replicate all of it to their sites..)
>
> I'm not responsible for sourceware, so my opinions aren't very
> relevant  [:-)] , but that's a lot of disk space..

I've always wondered about this my self.  Would just the .sum file be
sufficient.  Er, even that is 0.5mb.

Andrew

* Re: Lots of gdb.log files for gdb-testresults?
@ 2001-10-02 11:00   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-10-02 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Molenda; +Cc: Michael Elizabeth Chastain, overseers

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 06:17:46PM -0800, Jason Molenda wrote:
>On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 08:02:44PM -0600, Michael Elizabeth Chastain wrote:
>> I have a set of 8 gdb.log + gdb.sum files which I would like to post
>> to gdb-testresults.  These files are big: 2.2 megabytes for each gdb.log
>> file and 0.5 megabytes for each gdb.sum file.
>
>> I have ambitions to scale up to 20-100 sets per week.  Also, the compression
>> ratio on these files is pretty good: gzip --best gives an 88.2% compression
>> ratio.
>
>So we're talking about (2.7E+6 bytes * 0.12) * 50sets/week *
>52weeks/year or around 842MB/year?  That's a pretty big chunk of
>disk space - the past three years of list traffic only takes around
>8GB of disk space for all ~150 mailing lists hosted on sourceware+gcc.
>Is this information really going to be useful?  Could it be better
>represented in diffs, or in some sort of SQL database?

It does end up in a database eventually but that doesn't stop the
disk archives from being filled up.

We really don't have the capacity to handle this, unfortunately.
So, I'd rather you didn't do this Michael.

cgf

* Re: Lots of gdb.log files for gdb-testresults?
@ 2001-10-02 23:45 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-10-02 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Elizabeth Chastain; +Cc: overseers

On Nov 12, 2001, Michael Elizabeth Chastain <mec@shout.net> wrote:

> I have a set of 8 gdb.log + gdb.sum files which I would like to post
> to gdb-testresults.

Try gcc's contrib/test_summary.  It collects only FAILs, XPASSes and
totals from the .sum file, and posts them to a mailing list.

* Re: Lots of gdb.log files for gdb-testresults?
@ 2001-10-02 11:26 Michael Elizabeth Chastain
From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain @ 2001-10-02 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ac131313, cgf, jason-swarelist; +Cc: overseers

Okay, I will refrain from sending files to gdb-testresults.  Even the gdb.sum
files would be pretty large.

I will keep stockpiling the files and maybe the Time Fairy will give me an
extra month this Christmas to figure out some kind of test results database.

Michael C