* More porting questions
@ 1999-11-03  1:40 Neta Zmora
From: Neta Zmora @ 1999-11-03  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mgcp; +Cc: sip, pthreads-win32

Hey all,

With the help of Bryan Ogawa (Vovida) and Jeff Walker (Pingtel) I have made
a quick and successful port of Vovida's MGCP stack to WinNT.
However, I am now seeking your help again in porting the SIP stack to
WinNT.  It seems that the Posix Threads for Win32 library that Bryan
recommended ( http://sourceware.cygnus.com/pthreads-win32/ ) is missing some
functions used by the SIP stack.  Specifically, these are:

PTHREAD_MUTEX_RECURSIVE_NP - a constant
PTHREAD_MUTEX_FAST_NP - a constant
pthread_mutexattr_setkind_np(...) - this is a function

Does anyone know what version of Posix Threads is used by Vovida's SIP
stack (the library Bryan recommended partially implements POSIX 1003.1c
1995)?
Does anyone know of a more complete Posix Threads implementation?

Your help is much appreciated,
Neta

* RE: More porting questions
@ 1999-11-04  1:15 ` Milan Gardian
From: Milan Gardian @ 1999-11-04  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Neta Zmora'; +Cc: pthreads-win32

Dear Neta,

> PTHREAD_MUTEX_RECURSIVE_NP - a constant
> PTHREAD_MUTEX_FAST_NP - a constant
> pthread_mutexattr_setkind_np(...) - this is a function

Please note that 'np' in the function (and constant) names stands for
Non-Portable. That means that any design using those functions is
non-portable (at source-code level) to other platforms, i.e. the library
authors do not guarantee that the functions will be available anywhere else
but in the specific library.

> Does anyone know of a more complete Posix Threads implementation?

The Win32 PThreads implementation at
( http://sourceware.cygnus.com/pthreads-win32/ ) is the most complete one I
came around, but because it is open source, there is an ongoing effort of
making it better - eliminating bugs, adding functionality and increasing
efficiency. So as I see it you have 2 options:

1) Reconsider design of the application being ported, especially the
neccesity for non-portable functions and, if possible, replace them with
standard-compliant functions.

2) Implement the required non-portable functionality using Win32 API (if
possible) and share them with the rest of us by posting it to this mailing
list :). If the functions are reasonable, I am sure Ross would consider
adding them to the next pthreads snapshot and your name(s) would be added to
the "hall of fame" file named  "CONTRIBUTORS" :))).

Best regards,
	Milan