* Accessing  Windows thread id
@ 2007-05-26 14:21 Michael Bieber
From: Michael Bieber @ 2007-05-26 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pthreads-win32

@list

I would like exploit the technique, described here:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xcb2z8hs(vs.80).aspx

in order to help my Visual Studio debugger with some more expressive
thread names.

Unfortunately, this is relying on a thread id not being public
accessible for pthreads_win32 clients (It is the last argument to
_beginthreadex, after that call hidden inside the non-public
ptw32_thread_t structure). Windows GetThreadId is no help here, because
it isn't defined for Win XP. Even GetCurrentId is not entirely what I
would like, because the call to SetThreadName (cf. URL above) doesn't
come from the calling thread in my case.

So, is there a way to get the Windows thread id in a way similar to
pthread_getw32threadhandle_np for a handle?

Micha