* RE: pthreads-w32 2.2.0 test failures
@ 2005-04-05  3:59 Tim Theisen
From: Tim Theisen @ 2005-04-05  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Johnson, Pthreads-Win32 list

I agree with your assessment.  Those tests need improvement.

At least you know someone is giving pthreads-w32 a run for its
money on a multiprocessor system.

...Tim

From: Tim Theisen @ 2005-04-05 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: scroall, Pthreads-Win32 list

I do not have a real world example of a problem with the pthread
library.  I have simply run the test cases.  Inspection of the
once2 test case reveals that it will likely report failures on a
multi-processor system.  In this case, Ross and I believe that the
test case is defective, not the library.

I think that it is wonderful to have the test cases distributed
with the library.  Whenever I pick up a new version of the library,
I run the test cases.  With multi-threaded code, you never know
what timing differences may reveal a problem.  Having these test
cases available gives my much more comfort and assurance that the
library is correct.

...Tim

From: Tim Theisen @ 2005-04-04 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pthreads-win32

I compiled the 2.2.0 release on my machine with the Visual Studio .NET
2003 and the following tests fail:

... Running VC test: once2.exe
Assertion failed: (numThreads == NUM_THREADS * NUM_ONCE), file once2.c,
line 91

... Running VC test: cleanup0.exe
Assertion failed: (pop_count == NUMTHREADS), file cleanup0.c, line 202

... Running VC test: cleanup1.exe
Assertion failed: (pop_count == NUMTHREADS), file cleanup1.c, line 215

The once2 test fails fairly consistently (about 90% of the time).
The cleanup tests fail intermittently (about 20% of the time).

I am using a dual processor 2.6GHz Pentium 4 Xeon with Hyperthreading
enabled.

...Tim

* pthreads-w32 2.2.0 test failures
@ 2005-04-04 21:41 Tim Theisen