sem_getvalue()? I don't see that in the standard (POSIX.1b (POSIX 1003.1b-1993))... I assume this has been added to the pthreads-win32 implementation as an extension (Ross?) Perhaps there is a bug in that new method. However, try looping over sem_trywait and count the # of times it returns 0. It should return EAGAIN when the semaphore count is zero. Sorry, I can't help you with the sem_getvalue.... Note that since the sem_ calls are from an earlier standard, that when they fail they are supposed to return -1 and set errno to the actual error number.... John. -----Original Message----- From: Rob Fanner [mailto:rfanner@stonethree.com] Sent: May 30, 2002 10:10 AM To: pthreads-win32@sources.redhat.com Subject: semaphores I'm new to using pthreads-win32 (SNAPSHOT 2002-03-02), and I have to port a program from Linux to Windows 2000. A bug has somehow crept into my code, and I've narrowed the problem area down to a code fragment similar to the following: #include #include #include using namespace std; int main() { /** * We want to check wether a semaphore can be initialised * with a value. */ // a semaphore sem_t psem; // initialise it with value 10 assert(sem_init(&psem,0,10) == 0); // ASSERT NO 1 // if the semaphore initialisation was ok, the sem // should now have the value 10 int ret = 0; assert(sem_getvalue(&psem,&ret) == 0); // ASSERT NO 2 // if no errors occured then value is now in the // integer ret cout << endl << "sem_getvalue() returns value " << ret << endl << flush; return 0; } I'm using MS VC++ 6.0, and I'm linking with the precompiled pthreadVCE.lib library. At runtime, the first assert() passes OK, but second fails. I have no idea why this fails (hopefully it's simply a newby error, and not a bug in the pthreads-win32 lib), but it does. Thanks Rob This message may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you have received this e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, disseminate or distribute it; do not open any attachments, delete it immediately from your system and notify the sender promptly by e-mail that you have done so. Thank you.