* Problem with 100% CPU and fan running
@ 2008-06-28  8:18 nickfox
From: nickfox @ 2008-06-28  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pthreads-win32

I'm running a demo I found on sourceforge:

http://vrp.sourceforge.net/

and when I first start up the demo, the fan on my XP service pack 3 machine
starts running. When I run the app, the CPU pegs to 100%. The demo is using
pthreads.

Is there a way to keep this from happening?

thanks
Nick

* Re: Problem with 100% CPU and fan running
@ 2008-06-28 13:01 ` Ross Johnson
From: Ross Johnson @ 2008-06-28 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nickfox; +Cc: pthreads-win32

Hello Nick,

Any reason to suspect the pthreads-win32 library especially? Generally
it's designed not to cause continuous CPU load (with one exception on
SMP machines being pthread_spin_lock, but which is intended only for
very short duration locks).

Have you reported this to the VRP developers?

Regards.
Ross

@ 2008-06-28 16:27   ` nickfox
From: nickfox @ 2008-06-28 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pthreads-win32

Hi Ross

Thanks for responding. I do have a dual core AMD processor. And as far as
suspecting pthreads, it was just my first guess. I don't think there is
anything wrong with pthreads. I think it's maybe the program logic and how
the threading is being used. I honestly don't know. As you probably have
figured out, my knowledge of threading is not that strong.

I'm not sure how to isolate the problem. Do you have any suggestions?

thanks
Nick