* compiler error with vs 2008
@ 2011-11-29 20:52 Immanuel Dold
From: Immanuel Dold @ 2011-11-29 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pthreads-win32

Hello everybody.

I am new to this project but I need help. I am a German student and I am
currently working with PTAM and libcvd. The program I am building works
fine under windows 7 32-bit. The problem is that my tutor for my thesis
works with windows 7 64-bit. You are probably guessing right that on
that machine the program only hangs. I get a 100% processor load but the
program not even gets to the main() function. Until now I used pthread
2.8.0 and after some research on the net I found out that I have to use
more recent code. Since there is no release I tried to build my own
libraries.

This is why I looked up for wincvs and checked out the newest code from
the server. I looked into the README file for instructions on how to
build all the .lib and .dll files. Now there is my problem. Using nmake
from Visual Studio 2008 Pro with the parameters "clean VC" and "clean
VSE" works just fine. But libcvd and PTAM rely both on the VCE version
and so I tried "nmake clean VCE" and there I got stuck. The compiler
throws errors (C2264) in "ptw32-MCS_lock.c" in lines 108, 127, 136, 197
and 215 saying that the it can not cast "volatile size_t *" into
"volatile LONG *".

I do not even know if the current code resolves my problem and my
programs will run on a x64 machine. So if you think pthread 2.8.0 should
run in a win32 (not x64) application on a x64 machine it does not bother
me not being able to compile the proper *VCE.dll. But if you could (or
is it "can"?) help me building the libraries, I would be very happy.

One thing left: My knowledge about compilers especially nmake is very
limited but since I am using VS I would prefer to stay with nmake.

Thanks to everybody taking the time to help me.
Sincerely yours,
Immanuel