* pthreads-win32 and Coverity
@ 2008-06-05 20:00 Robert Kindred
From: Robert Kindred @ 2008-06-05 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pthreads-win32

Everyone:

   Has anyone on this mailing list heard of Coverity?  I
am evaluating it in a desperate attempt to find a bug in
my code.  When I run it in debug mode, nothing breaks.  When
my program runs in release mode, it gets an access violation
after a couple of days running, which could be anything.
Anyway, one of the things Coverity uncovered is called
FORWARD NULL.  Here is an example below from ptw32_throw.c,
line 84:

Event var_compare_op: Added "sp" due to comparison "sp == 0"
At conditional (1): "sp == 0" taking true path
68   	  if (NULL == sp || sp->implicit)
69   	    {
70   	      /*
71   	       * We're inside a non-POSIX initialised Win32 thread
72   	       * so there is no point to jump or throw back to. Just do an
73   	       * explicit thread exit here after cleaning up POSIX
74   	       * residue (i.e. cleanup handlers, POSIX thread handle etc).
75   	       */
76   	      unsigned exitCode = 0;
77
78   	      switch (exception)
79   		{
80   		case PTW32_EPS_CANCEL:
81   		  exitCode = (unsigned) PTHREAD_CANCELED;
82   		  break;
At conditional (2): "exception == 1" taking true path
83   		case PTW32_EPS_EXIT:
Event var_deref_op: Variable "sp" tracked as NULL was dereferenced.
84   		  exitCode = (unsigned) sp->exitStatus;;
85   		  break;
86   		}

In other words, if sp shows to be null at line 68, it should not be
dereferenced at line 84.  I can show some others, but I am not sure
if they are significant.

Let me know what you think,

Robert Kindred

only message in thread, other threads:[~2008-06-05 20:00 UTC | newest]