public inbox for rda@sourceware.org
* RDA on Solaris and Win32
@ 2004-12-08 19:23 Jim Blandy
From: Jim Blandy @ 2004-12-08 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rda

Hmm.  It seems that, although RDA includes code for Cygwin and
Solaris, that code is not actually built by default when one
configures the tree in the normal way on those platforms.  All you get
is the librda library.

This means that we can't know if regenerating the auto* files
introduces additional build problems for that platform-specific code
without first making RDA actually build it again.  I don't want to
extend the scope of my project to include making the Cygwin and
Solaris native support code build again.  But evolving the surrounding
support will inevitably bit-rot that stuff.  It's the classic
"unmaintained code" dilemma.

Ideally, that stuff were made to build again, but limiting ourselves
to actions we can afford to take immediately, what should our policy
be?  Here are the options I see, listed in order of decreasing
preference for me:

a) Declare Cygwin and Solaris native support to be unmaintained in the
   README file, but leave the sources in the tree.

b) Delete the Cygwin and Solaris native support.  If someone wants to
   resurrect it, it's all in CVS.

c) Put off upgrading the auto* files until Cygwin and Solaris native
   build again and the upgrade can be tested.

How do other folks feel?

In January, I'm going to have some time available to make a web page
for RDA and put together a release.  I don't know if there will be any
public interest in RDA, but if there is, we might find volunteers to
work on the Solaris and Cygwin ports.