public inbox for rhdb@sourceware.org
* Revisiting java problems
@ 2004-02-05  0:09 Derrick Snowden
From: Derrick Snowden @ 2004-02-05  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rhdb; +Cc: Derrick Snowden

Hi

I have read the thread from Jan 19 re java problems and I'm still
stumbling. I'm using FC1 and I have followed all the instructions in
that thread yet I still get the same error about rhdb-admin and the
classpath.  It is unable to find org.postgresql.jdbc3.*

I've installed postgresql-jdbc-7.3.4-11.i386.rpm and have verified that
postgresql.jar is in /usr/share/java yet if I try

% grepjar jdbc postgresql.jar

There is no mention to anything with the string jdbc3.  There are
however, jdbc1 matches.  I then downloaded the source tar.gz files for
postgres-base-7.3.4-11 and in the src/interfaces directory there are
*.java files to build classes with jdbc3 in the title.

Is there anything else I have to do?  I should mention that rhdb-cc
fails with an error
"Unable to find the java executable" which is in my PATH env variable.
And, rhdb-visual explain fails to connect to a database with

"Reason: JDBC Driver (org.postgresql.Driver) could not be found"
grepjar for Driver reveals

$ grepjar Driver postgresql.jar
org/postgresql/largeobject/LargeObjectManager.class:org/postgresql/Driver
org/postgresql/fastpath/Fastpath.class:org/postgresql/Driver
Z_BUF_ERROR

Any ideas?

thanks much!
Derrick

--
Derrick Snowden
PhOD/AOML/NOAA

* Re: Revisiting java problems
@ 2004-02-09 21:11 ` Fernando Nasser
From: Fernando Nasser @ 2004-02-09 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Derrick Snowden; +Cc: rhdb

Derrick Snowden wrote:
> (...)   I should mention that rhdb-cc
> fails with an error
> "Unable to find the java executable" which is in my PATH env variable.

Hi Derrick,

The Control Center runs as root, so your PATH doesn't matter, but what is in the
root user's PATH.

Some of the SDKs or JREs when installed set the root PATH and JAVA_PATH
environment variables but some don't (like Sun's).  Even though, if the JRE is
installed in the standard places the script that starts rhdb-cc usually finds it.

In any case, you can always edit the script and add a JAVA_HOME variable to it.
Edit  /usr/share/rhdb-cc/rhdb-cc.sh and add a line like this:
JAVA_HOME=<wherever your Java is installed>
right after the header comments.

You should not need this, but if it gets you running we have one less item to
think about.

Please let me know if you can start rhdb-cc now.

Regards,
Fernando

* Re: Revisiting java problems
@ 2004-02-09 21:28 ` David Jee
From: David Jee @ 2004-02-09 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Derrick Snowden; +Cc: rhdb

On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 19:08, Derrick Snowden wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have read the thread from Jan 19 re java problems and I'm still
> stumbling. I'm using FC1 and I have followed all the instructions in
> that thread yet I still get the same error about rhdb-admin and the
> classpath.  It is unable to find org.postgresql.jdbc3.*
>
> I've installed postgresql-jdbc-7.3.4-11.i386.rpm and have verified that
> postgresql.jar is in /usr/share/java yet if I try
>
> % grepjar jdbc postgresql.jar
>
> There is no mention to anything with the string jdbc3.  There are
> however, jdbc1 matches.  I then downloaded the source tar.gz files for
> postgres-base-7.3.4-11 and in the src/interfaces directory there are
> *.java files to build classes with jdbc3 in the title.
>
> Is there anything else I have to do?  I should mention that rhdb-cc
> fails with an error
> "Unable to find the java executable" which is in my PATH env variable.
> And, rhdb-visual explain fails to connect to a database with
>
> "Reason: JDBC Driver (org.postgresql.Driver) could not be found"
> grepjar for Driver reveals
>
> $ grepjar Driver postgresql.jar
> org/postgresql/largeobject/LargeObjectManager.class:org/postgresql/Driver
> org/postgresql/fastpath/Fastpath.class:org/postgresql/Driver
> Z_BUF_ERROR
>
> Any ideas?

Do you have any older versions of the JDBC driver in your CLASSPATH?
Make sure that you only have one JDBC driver in your CLASSPATH.  If you
are using bash, you should do the following:

export CLASSPATH=/usr/share/java/postgresql.jar

And just for reference, which vendor/version of JDK or JRE are you
using?  In the past, we noticed funny things happening when mixing and
matching different versions of JDK and JRE in your environment, even if
they're from the same vendor.  We developed and tested our software on
Sun's SDK version 1.4.2.

I hope that helps.  If you have further questions, please ask.

-David Jee