public inbox for rhdb@sourceware.org
From: David Jee <djee@redhat.com>
To: Derrick Snowden <Derrick.Snowden@noaa.gov>
Cc: rhdb@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: Revisiting java problems
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 21:28:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 19:08, Derrick Snowden wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have read the thread from Jan 19 re java problems and I'm still
> stumbling. I'm using FC1 and I have followed all the instructions in
> that thread yet I still get the same error about rhdb-admin and the
> classpath.  It is unable to find org.postgresql.jdbc3.*
>
> I've installed postgresql-jdbc-7.3.4-11.i386.rpm and have verified that
> postgresql.jar is in /usr/share/java yet if I try
>
> % grepjar jdbc postgresql.jar
>
> There is no mention to anything with the string jdbc3.  There are
> however, jdbc1 matches.  I then downloaded the source tar.gz files for
> postgres-base-7.3.4-11 and in the src/interfaces directory there are
> *.java files to build classes with jdbc3 in the title.
>
> Is there anything else I have to do?  I should mention that rhdb-cc
> fails with an error
> "Unable to find the java executable" which is in my PATH env variable.
> And, rhdb-visual explain fails to connect to a database with
>
> "Reason: JDBC Driver (org.postgresql.Driver) could not be found"
> grepjar for Driver reveals
>
> $ grepjar Driver postgresql.jar
> org/postgresql/largeobject/LargeObjectManager.class:org/postgresql/Driver
> org/postgresql/fastpath/Fastpath.class:org/postgresql/Driver
> Z_BUF_ERROR
>
> Any ideas?

Do you have any older versions of the JDBC driver in your CLASSPATH?
Make sure that you only have one JDBC driver in your CLASSPATH.  If you
are using bash, you should do the following:

export CLASSPATH=/usr/share/java/postgresql.jar

And just for reference, which vendor/version of JDK or JRE are you
using?  In the past, we noticed funny things happening when mixing and
matching different versions of JDK and JRE in your environment, even if
they're from the same vendor.  We developed and tested our software on
Sun's SDK version 1.4.2.

I hope that helps.  If you have further questions, please ask.

-David Jee