public inbox for rhdb@sourceware.org
* Problems with RHDB 3.0
@ 2004-11-01 12:21 John Allgood
From: John Allgood @ 2004-11-01 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rhdb

Hello

    We have discovered a problem with plpgsql on Redhat Database 3.0 The
problem is fixed with Postgres 7.4. Is there is a new version of Redhat
Database on the horizon and what can we expect for the new version. "7.4
or 8.0.".  We are trying to get an idea on what direction we need to go in.

Thanks

John Allgood - ESC
Systems Administrator
770.989.3051

* Re: Problems with RHDB 3.0
@ 2004-11-01 16:36 ` Tom Lane
From: Tom Lane @ 2004-11-01 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Allgood; +Cc: rhdb

John Allgood <john@turbocorp.com> writes:
>     We have discovered a problem with plpgsql on Redhat Database 3.0 The
> problem is fixed with Postgres 7.4. Is there is a new version of Redhat
> Database on the horizon and what can we expect for the new version. "7.4
> or 8.0.".  We are trying to get an idea on what direction we need to go in.

Well, the road map looks like this:

RHEL3 will use rh-postgresql 7.3.* until end of life; an upgrade to a
new major Postgres version is out of the question because of our
backward-compatibility requirements for that product.

Fedora Core 3 (to become RHEL4) currently uses Postgres 7.4.*, and I am
surely hoping that PG 8.0 is out in time that it can be the long-term-
supported version for RHEL4.  Note that we have dropped the "RHDB"
branding in this version and gone back to calling it plain PostgreSQL.

As far as your immediate problem goes, depending on what the issue is,
it might or might not be feasible to back-port a fix into rh-postgresql
7.3.  You didn't give any details...

			regards, tom lane
			Red Hat Database project

* Re: Problems with RHDB 3.0
@ 2004-11-01 16:52   ` John Allgood
From: John Allgood @ 2004-11-01 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Lane, rhdb

Hello Again

This was a problem you had responded to on the postgres novice list. You
had responded back to Terry Tucker it was an array question dealing with
triggers. Terry had ask me to check about the next version of Redhat
Database since that is the version we had decided to go with. I
appreciate you feedback on this. Any other comments are welcome. Below
is the email to the novice list just to refresh you memory.

Thanks Again

Subject:
[NOVICE] Array Question
From:
Terry Lee Tucker <terry@esc1.com>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:08:38 -0400

To:
pgsql-novice@postgresql.org

Greetings:

I have a customer history table that contains several integer and decimal
arrays for recording sales and load count information for each of the 12
months. I'm trying to modify one of the arrays in a pre-update trigger. I'm
looping as in:

for x in 1..12 loop
	array[x] = <some_value>;
	.
	.
	.
end loop;

This will not compile. I get the following error:

ERROR:  syntax error at or near "["

If I comment that line out, all works well. Any ideas?

Thanks...

Tom Lane wrote:

>John Allgood <john@turbocorp.com> writes:
>

>>    We have discovered a problem with plpgsql on Redhat Database 3.0 The
>>problem is fixed with Postgres 7.4. Is there is a new version of Redhat
>>Database on the horizon and what can we expect for the new version. "7.4
>>or 8.0.".  We are trying to get an idea on what direction we need to go in.
>>

>Well, the road map looks like this:
>
>RHEL3 will use rh-postgresql 7.3.* until end of life; an upgrade to a
>new major Postgres version is out of the question because of our
>backward-compatibility requirements for that product.
>
>Fedora Core 3 (to become RHEL4) currently uses Postgres 7.4.*, and I am
>surely hoping that PG 8.0 is out in time that it can be the long-term-
>supported version for RHEL4.  Note that we have dropped the "RHDB"
>branding in this version and gone back to calling it plain PostgreSQL.
>
>As far as your immediate problem goes, depending on what the issue is,
>it might or might not be feasible to back-port a fix into rh-postgresql
>7.3.  You didn't give any details...
>
>			regards, tom lane
>			Red Hat Database project

* Re: Problems with RHDB 3.0
@ 2004-11-01 17:01     ` Tom Lane
From: Tom Lane @ 2004-11-01 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Allgood; +Cc: rhdb

John Allgood <john@turbocorp.com> writes:
> This was a problem you had responded to on the postgres novice list. You
> had responded back to Terry Tucker it was an array question dealing with
> triggers.

Oh, the business about not being able to assign to array elements.
My recollection is that that was a pretty large change; I think
back-porting it into 7.3 would probably not be very reasonable.
Sorry ...

			regards, tom lane

* Re: Problems with RHDB 3.0
@ 2004-11-02  0:22       ` Justin Clift
From: Justin Clift @ 2004-11-02  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Lane; +Cc: John Allgood, rhdb

Tom Lane wrote:
> John Allgood <john@turbocorp.com> writes:
>
>>This was a problem you had responded to on the postgres novice list. You
>>had responded back to Terry Tucker it was an array question dealing with
>>triggers.
>
> Oh, the business about not being able to assign to array elements.
> My recollection is that that was a pretty large change; I think
> back-porting it into 7.3 would probably not be very reasonable.
> Sorry ...

Hi guys,

Not sure if it's helpful, but the PostgreSQL Project itself does release
PostgreSQL RPM's specifically for RHEL2.1 and RHEL3:

ftp://ftp3.us.postgresql.org/pub/postgresql/binary/v7.4.6/rpms/redhat/

How workable this is for you would depend on what you want connecting to
it, if this would affect your support levels, and so forth.

:)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift