public inbox for rhdb@sourceware.org
* I can't connect to Redhat database administrator graphical tool
@ 2003-09-16  3:17 huwang wang
From: huwang wang @ 2003-09-16  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rhdb

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb2312, Size: 732 bytes --]

Hi,
According to your tutorial,
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/database/RHDB-2.1-Manual/guitools/x454.html
we need to provide the password of postgres when we
log in as 'postgres'.But as we know ,the default
installation of postgresql has no password for User
'postgres'.

I have also created several user using the command
line to try to connect using the graphical tool,and it
also failed.

Can you help me out?

http://cn.rd.yahoo.com/mail_cn/tag/?http://cn.messenger.yahoo.com

* Re: I can't connect to Redhat database administrator graphical tool
@ 2003-09-16 13:18 ` Patrick Macdonald
From: Patrick Macdonald @ 2003-09-16 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: huwang wang; +Cc: rhdb

Huwang,

Yes, you should just able to leave the password field
blank with the default user.  As for creating other
users and using the tool, what type of error message
is being returned when you attempt to connect?

Cheers,
Patrick

@ 2003-09-17  1:21   ` huwang wang
From: huwang wang @ 2003-09-17  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Macdonald; +Cc: rhdb

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb2312, Size: 2088 bytes --]

Hi,

When I installed the redhat database 2.1,I have chosen
 to perform all the following tasks.

Start Red Hat Database now.
Configure Red Hat Database to start at system
start-up.
Run the regression tests.

All of these tasks have completed successfully.

Then I started the graphical tool DataBase
Administrator and followed the instructions in your
tutorial,I fill the blanks with "tutorial","Unix
Domain Socket","/tmp","5432".

As for the user name and pasword,No matter what I have
provided ,such as postgres or other username and
password I have created by command line,when I clicked
the tutorial icon,the right pane showed that"status
Not Connected Reason:Fatal 1:IDENT authenticatin
failed for user "postgres"or other name I have
created.

But in fact the redhat database server is
running.Because when I use postgres or the name I have
created to issue command createdb ***,the response is
correct---CREATE DATABASE.

Can you help me out?

--- Patrick Macdonald <patrickm@redhat.com> µÄÕýÎÄ£º>

@ 2003-09-17 13:33     ` Patrick Macdonald
From: Patrick Macdonald @ 2003-09-17 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: huwang wang; +Cc: rhdb

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=GB2312, Size: 3119 bytes --]

Huwang,

Here's some information from a past post on this
mailing list:

Deepak Bhole wrote (on 04/08/2003):
> Hi Jos¨¦,
>
> You need to re-configure your Host Based Authentication (hba) file. This
> is located in /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf.
>
> It seems that in there, you have set authentication for postgres to pass
> only if the IDENT is correct (either postgres, or something else if you
> are using mapping. See

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/view.php?version=7.3&idoc=1&file=client-authentication.html
for more info). If you are aware that its using IDENT authentication and wish to continue
to use it, you must start rhdb-admin as user postgres in order to connect to the cluster
successfully.

@ 2003-09-18  8:15       ` huwang wang
From: huwang wang @ 2003-09-18  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Macdonald; +Cc: rhdb