public inbox for rhdb@sourceware.org
* Re: RHDB 2.1 ISO not working
@ 2003-01-12  5:48 Paul Leung
From: Paul Leung @ 2003-01-12  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overholt; +Cc: dbhole, rhdb

I downloaded the iso straight into my linux machine and mounted it as you
suggested.  Everything works great now.  I've been playing around with the
rhdb-admin program and find it to be a most helpful tool but I do have a
couple questions.

I created a database cluster in one account with the admin program.  When I
went into another account and opened up the admin program, the database
cluster wasnt there.  The admin program had no clusters shown initially.  I
manually added the cluster that I made with my other account but I wasnt
sure if it was the same cluster that I made initially or a brand new cluster
that has the same name as the first one.  So what's happening here?

I also noticed that there was a trigger tab that I could go to to add
triggers.  I saw tabs for views, functions, and etc. but nothing for
triggers.  Where do I go to add triggers?
Thank you.

* Re: RHDB 2.1 ISO not working
@ 2003-01-12 17:40 ` Fernando Nasser
From: Fernando Nasser @ 2003-01-12 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Leung; +Cc: overholt, dbhole, rhdb

Paul Leung wrote:
> I created a database cluster in one account with the admin program.
> When I went into another account and opened up the admin program, the
> database cluster wasnt there.  The admin program had no clusters shown
> initially.  I manually added the cluster that I made with my other
> account but I wasnt sure if it was the same cluster that I made
> initially or a brand new cluster that has the same name as the first
> one.  So what's happening here?

A RHDB/PostgreSQL cluster is defined by a DBMS backend listening on a
certain port of a certain host.  As long as you defined the new cluster
with the same host name (or IP address) and port number you are
connecting to the same database cluster (or "catalog cluster" in the SQL
standard terms -- I find the PostgreSQL terminology more clear).

Of course you can also choose what database user you want to connect as,
so you can have different "clusters" so you can connect as the DBA or as
an ordinary user to the same backend.

Anyway, each user of the tool may want these things set differently,
connect to different clusters etc., so these settings are per Unix user
and sored in the ~/.rhdb directory.

> I also noticed that there was a trigger tab that I could go to to add
> triggers.  I saw tabs for views, functions, and etc. but nothing for
> triggers.  Where do I go to add triggers?

Triggers are database objects associated with tables.  If you open a
table node (after you create a table, of course), you will see things
like indexes and triggers in there.

Regards,
Fernando

--
Fernando Nasser
2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300

* Re: RHDB 2.1 ISO not working
@ 2003-01-13 16:49   ` Patrick Macdonald
From: Patrick Macdonald @ 2003-01-13 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Leung; +Cc: rhdb

Fernando Nasser wrote:

> Paul Leung wrote:
> > I also noticed that there was a trigger tab that I could go to to add
> > triggers.  I saw tabs for views, functions, and etc. but nothing for
> > triggers.  Where do I go to add triggers?
>
> Triggers are database objects associated with tables.  If you open a
> table node (after you create a table, of course), you will see things
> like indexes and triggers in there.

Correct... and more information can be found in the Red Hat Database
Graphical Tools Guide.

Please refer to:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/database/RHDB-2.1-Manual/guitools/x2765.html
for more information on triggers.

Cheers,
Patrick

* Re: RHDB 2.1 ISO not working
@ 2003-01-10 15:24 ` Andrew Overholt
From: Andrew Overholt @ 2003-01-10 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Leung; +Cc: dbhole, rhdb

Paul Leung once said:
> I downloaded the iso from a mirror in hawaii into my windows machine.  I
> burned it at 6x speed with my HP burner and EasyCD Creator software.  I
> then tried to use it on my Redhat 8.0 machine.

I'm willing to bet that it was the fault of EasyCD Creator.

> The weird stuff that I found on the cd are these:
> The "Install" scripts were named "install" with a lowercase i.
> The "RHL-7.3" and "RHL-8.0" directories were in lowercase and they had a
> underline instead of a hyphen.
> I also think I saw that the execute permission was missing from all files
> and directories.

Yes, I think this was caused by your burning software.  Can you get burning
working under Red Hat Linux?  Alternatively, is your ISO accessible on a
hard disk to your RH installation?  If so, you could just mount it on
loopback:

(do everything beginning with a `#' as root)

# mkdir /mnt/rhdb
# mount -o ro,loop <isofilename> /mnt/rhdb

Where <isofilename> should be replaced with the full path to the RHDB 2.1
ISO file.

The first option (burning under Red Hat) can be accomplished with:

# cdrecord -scanbus

this will display the current recording devices available.
Pick the SCSI ID of the CD writer ... it will be something like:

scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) '        ' 'CD-R/RW RW7080A ' '1.10' Removable CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) 'ASUS    ' 'DVD-ROM E608    ' '1.40' Removable CD-ROM

where 0,0,0 is the one I want.  Put a blank CD in your burner and:

# cdrecord dev=0,0,0 rhdb21-i386.iso

This should burn the ISO properly.  Let us know what happens.

> Thanks for helping me.  I've been a windows slave for a long time and when
> I started using linux, the first thing that hit me was how great linux
> people are with help and support.  When I get good enough at linux, I'll
> pay it forward.

Glad to hear it!

Andrew

* Re: RHDB 2.1 ISO not working
@ 2003-01-10  6:19 Paul Leung
From: Paul Leung @ 2003-01-10  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ggibson, rhdb

That's very interesting.  How do you think mounting it manually is different
than having it set as auto in fstab?  How does it help?

>From: "George T. Gibson" <ggibson@blank.jbstamping.com>
>To: rhdb@sources.redhat.com
>Subject: Re: RHDB 2.1 ISO not working
>Date: 09 Jan 2003 08:58:36 -0500
>Sender: rhdb-owner@sources.redhat.com
>
>Downloaded and had a little trouble myself but did get it to work.
>
>I have my cdrom mounting "auto" in fstab.  When I used 'mount
>/mnt/cdrom' at the command line and tried to run the script I got error
>messages about permissions on the bash script.
>
>When I mounted using 'mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/cdrom/ /mnt/cdrom' it
>worked fine.
>
>Hope it helps.
>
>--
>J.B. Stamping, Inc.
>George Gibson
>7413 Associate Ave.
>Cleveland, OH 44144
>216.631.0013  216.631.1327 fax
>gtgibson@jbstamping.com

http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup

* Re: RHDB 2.1 ISO not working
@ 2003-01-10  5:43 Paul Leung
From: Paul Leung @ 2003-01-10  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dbhole; +Cc: overholt, rhdb

I downloaded the iso from a mirror in hawaii into my windows machine.  I
burned it at 6x speed with my HP burner and EasyCD Creator software.  I then
tried to use it on my Redhat 8.0 machine.

here is my fstab file:
LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hda3               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,user,kudzu,ro
0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,user,kudzu 0
0

The mount my cdrom with Gkrellm.

I open up my terminal and cd into the cd directory.
I run "./Install" and I get this error:
bash: ./Install: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied.

Of course, I am doing all this while using the root account.

I've tried it in Gnome, KDE, and Blackbox.

The weird stuff that I found on the cd are these:
The "Install" scripts were named "install" with a lowercase i.
The "RHL-7.3" and "RHL-8.0" directories were in lowercase and they had a
underline instead of a hyphen.
I also think I saw that the execute permission was missing from all files
and directories.

If you think they my burning software could be the culprit, you may be right
but I've never had a problem like this before.  I've burned my redhat os
iso's with no problem.

Could it be my fstab setup?

Thanks for helping me.  I've been a windows slave for a long time and when I
started using linux, the first thing that hit me was how great linux people
are with help and support.  When I get good enough at linux, I'll pay it
forward.

>From: Deepak Bhole <dbhole@redhat.com>
>To: Paul Leung <dragonpath@hotmail.com>
>CC: Andrew Overholt <overholt@redhat.com>, rhdb@sources.redhat.com
>Subject: Re: RHDB 2.1 ISO not working
>Date: 09 Jan 2003 13:19:12 -0500
>Sender: rhdb-owner@sources.redhat.com
>
>On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 23:32, Paul Leung wrote:
> > Anybody tried the recent ISO lately?  I downloaded the ISO about a week
>or
> > two ago and it doesnt work.  The names of files and directories dont
>match
> > the names of files and directories in the scripts.  There are
>differences in
> > the case of letters and instead of hyphens there are underlines.  The
> > permissions on files and directories are not setup correctly.  Am I the
>only
> > one who's had trouble with the latest ISO for redhat db 2.1?
>
>Hi Paul,
>
>Andrew and I downloaded the latest (2.1) ISO and tried to install it on
>test systems running Red Hat Linux 7.3, 8.0 and AS 2.1 via both, hd (w/
>iso mounted) and cd. We were unable to reproduce the error you
>experienced in any of the cases.
>
>Could you please provide us with more information including:
>The error you experienced (i.e. which files you found to be incorrectly
>named in the scripts),
>The OS you are running,
>The CD-ROM mount settings you used,
>and the method you used for burning the CD?
>
>Thanks,
>Deepak B
>
>============================
>Deepak Bhole
>Red Hat Canada
>2323 Yonge Street, Suite#300
>Toronto, Ontario M4P 2C9
>============================

* RE: RHDB 2.1 ISO not working
@ 2003-01-09 21:55 Fred New
From: Fred New @ 2003-01-09 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak Bhole, rhdb

I also had no problems with an ISO file downloaded from a local mirror site
about a week ago.  Of course I didn't create a CD, I just mounted it:

1. mkdir /mnt/iso
2. put the following line in /etc/fstab:
/<directory-name>/rhdb21-i386.iso  /mnt/iso  iso9660 noauto,ro,loop 0 0
3. mount /mnt/iso

(Replace <directory-name> with the directory where you put the ISO file.)

Fred New

On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 23:32, Paul Leung wrote:
> Anybody tried the recent ISO lately?  I downloaded the ISO about a week or

> two ago and it doesnt work.  The names of files and directories dont match

> the names of files and directories in the scripts.  There are differences
in
> the case of letters and instead of hyphens there are underlines.  The
> permissions on files and directories are not setup correctly.  Am I the
only
> one who's had trouble with the latest ISO for redhat db 2.1?

Hi Paul,

Andrew and I downloaded the latest (2.1) ISO and tried to install it on
test systems running Red Hat Linux 7.3, 8.0 and AS 2.1 via both, hd (w/
iso mounted) and cd. We were unable to reproduce the error you
experienced in any of the cases.
.
.

* Re: RHDB 2.1 ISO not working