public inbox for rhdb@sourceware.org
From: Fernando Nasser <fnasser@redhat.com>
To: Fernando Nasser <fnasser@redhat.com>
Cc: Wei Tjioe <wtjioe@cs.toronto.edu>, rhdb@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: problem with Configuring a Connection to a Database using Visual Explain
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 00:41:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Fernando Nasser wrote:
> Wei,
>
> The client side (in this case JDBC) is not aware of how the server
> stores it's passwords.  They are sent clear text with either 'password'
> or 'md5' -- they are stored encrypted in the server.  If you need more
      ^^^^crypt
> security and don't want clear text passwords on the network make the
> connection using SSL.  The JDBC driver supports SSL connection for some
> time now.

Sorry, I was thinking of crypt.  I forgot that we now have support for
md5 and, of course, this means that the passwords may be encrypted
before being sent over the wire.  In which case you don't need SSL (if
just for that).

But the detection if the JDBC driver has to send md5 or clear text
passwords (for password _and_ crypt) is done automatically.  The server
tells the client how it wants the password.  The client program always
pass it to JDBC as clear text.

Please note that JDBC drivers before 7.3 had a bug in md5 password
encription.  I think it would only affect people with a different
encoding in their locale, but to be in the safe side you should use
drivers 7.3 on when using md5.

Your pg_hba file seems to be in a very old format (7.1.x perhaps).  What
versions of PostgreSQL and of the JDBC driver are you using?

Regards,
Fernando

--
Fernando Nasser