public inbox for rhdb@sourceware.org
* Re: postgresql 7.3
@ 2003-03-07  9:31 Jonathan Sand
From: Jonathan Sand @ 2003-03-07  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rhdb

I can't find postgresql 7.3.x on the redhat site. The only rpm's that I
can find are postgresql version 7.2.2, and, of course, the rhdb 2.1 iso
(which I already have). I clicked on the downloads button at the top of
redhat's home page and did a search for "postgres" and another for
"database." Am I looking in the wrong place? Better yet, can you give
me the url's which point to the postgresql 7.3.x rpm's?

I don't terribly mind waiting until end of April, by the way.

sand@gizmolab.com

* Re: postgresql 7.3
@ 2003-03-07 15:16 ` Patrick Macdonald
From: Patrick Macdonald @ 2003-03-07 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Sand; +Cc: rhdb

Hi Jonathan,

You can get the latest PostgreSQL rpms from the Red Hat ftp site:
ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide

There are directories for both the binary and source rpms (just in
case you need to rebuild).  What level of OS are you running?

Patrick

Jonathan Sand wrote:
> I can't find postgresql 7.3.x on the redhat site. The only rpm's that I
> can find are postgresql version 7.2.2, and, of course, the rhdb 2.1 iso
> (which I already have). I clicked on the downloads button at the top of
> redhat's home page and did a search for "postgres" and another for
> "database." Am I looking in the wrong place? Better yet, can you give me
> the url's which point to the postgresql 7.3.x rpm's?
>
> I don't terribly mind waiting until end of April, by the way.
>
> sand@gizmolab.com

* Re: postgresql 7.3
@ 2003-03-07 17:56 Jonathan Sand
From: Jonathan Sand @ 2003-03-07 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rhdb

I'm running redhat pro 8.0.

the ftp.redhat.com server consistently complains that too many people
are currently logged on. I suppose that certain other times of day are
better than this. as it suggests, I will try again later.

sand@gizmolab.com

* Re: postgresql 7.3
@ 2003-03-06 15:22 ` Patrick Macdonald
From: Patrick Macdonald @ 2003-03-06 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Sand; +Cc: rhdb

Hi Jonathan,

We will be providing a PostgreSQL - Red Hat Edition iso towards the
end of April.  However, it will contain pristine PostgreSQL 7.3.x
community binaries/source. You may want to download the current rpms
from Red Hat which are already at this level.

Cheers,
Patrick

Jonathan Sand wrote:
> can you give me an approximate timeframe for redhat's release of rhdb
> based on postgresql 7.3?
>
> my problem is that I'm using redhat bugzilla 2.15 with a database
> created with bugzilla based on mysql. I've managed to transfer the data
> out of mysql and into postgres (no small feat), and bugzilla runs, but
> it has a few bugs. I've, since then, downloaded redhat bugzilla 2.17,
> only to discover that the schema expected in this version are quite
> different. among the many changes, one of them can't be performed by
> rhdb 2.1 (postgresql 7.2.3).
>
> specifically: several of the tables contain essentially identical data
> (eg, products.value and bugs.product) with data type varchar. this being
> inefficient as a primary key and foreign key, these column definitions
> are being replaced by integer primary keys and integer references,
> respectively. postgres 7.3 allows the following sql:
>
> alter table products add id int;
> ... set new unique values in this new id column ....
> alter table products alter id set not null;
> alter table products add primary key(id);
>
> postgresql 7.2.3 doesn't allow that the "set not null" column constraint
> be applied in an "alter" statement and the "add primary key" can only be
> applied to columns which are designated as "not null." a neat and
> frustrating shutout.
>
> I suppose I could dump the database and reconstruct the schema
> correctly, but I'd then have to seriously modify the redhat bugzilla
> setup code. moral of this story? the bleeding edge is not for whimps.
>
> sand@gizmolab.com

* postgresql 7.3
@ 2003-03-06  8:53 Jonathan Sand