public inbox for rhug-rhats@sourceware.org
* xalan + javascript extension working
@ 2001-10-07 16:58 Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2001-10-07 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rhug-rhats

FYI... I just added IBM's Bean Scripting Framework and fixed a stupid xalan
Makefile bug, so now the javascript extension to Xalan appears to work.

From one of the xalan sample directories...
$ xsltp -IN 2-basicJscript.xml -XSL 2-basicJscript.xsl -TEXT

  We have received your enquiry and will
      respond by October 11, 2001 3:55:08 PM GMT-08:00

I wonder what it would take to get jacl or jython integrated?

AG

* Re: xalan + javascript extension working
@ 2001-10-10 10:46 ` Alexandre Petit-Bianco
From: Alexandre Petit-Bianco @ 2001-10-10 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Green; +Cc: rhug-rhats

Anthony Green writes:

> I wonder what it would take to get jacl or jython integrated?

jython requires org.gnu.readline (easy to import), Harry Mantakos'
md.java ( http://www.cs.umd.edu/~harry/jotp/src/md.java ) and
jakarta-servletapi which is already there in order to build the core
stuff. It comes with its own snapshot of apache.oro.text.regex which
differs from the one imported in rhug, though they might be merge-able
(the diff is 79K.)

jython might have to be modified as (as I understand it) spits out
class files that we would prefer to compile.

I can give it a try if you want. I've been looking forward to running
jython as it would provide us with an excellent opportunity to run
loads non regression tests.

./A

* Re: xalan + javascript extension working
@ 2001-10-10 11:59   ` Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2001-10-10 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: apbianco; +Cc: rhug-rhats

Alex wrote:
> It comes with its own snapshot of apache.oro.text.regex which
> differs from the one imported in rhug, though they might be merge-able
> (the diff is 79K.)

It's interesting that most of these bigger programs come with their own .jar
files of shared infrastructure (regexp stuff, xerces even).  Rather than rely
on the bundled jar files, I've chosen to integrate the original library distro
as a top-level package, which is why rhug contains java_cup and bcel (used by
xerces).  We should try to use the existing org.apache.oro if at all possible.

> jython might have to be modified as (as I understand it) spits out
> class files that we would prefer to compile.

My guess is that it works more like rhino and xalan, in that it produces
in-memory class definitions which it simply interprets, but can also produce
class files if you prefer to use them that way.  If this is the case then we
don't have to make any changes.

> I can give it a try if you want. I've been looking forward to running
> jython as it would provide us with an excellent opportunity to run
> loads non regression tests.

That would be cool.

AG