public inbox for rhug-rhats@sourceware.org
* tomcat 4 jsp compilation status?
@ 2002-04-26 13:36 Don Smith
From: Don Smith @ 2002-04-26 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rhug-rhats

What's the status of a gcj version of tomcat that can support jsps?
Is it possible, if not what needs to be done?

many thanks

don smith

* Re: tomcat 4 jsp compilation status?
@ 2002-04-27 19:24 ` Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2002-04-27 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Don Smith; +Cc: rhug-rhats

On Fri, 2002-04-26 at 13:33, Don Smith wrote:
> What's the status of a gcj version of tomcat that can support jsps?
> Is it possible, if not what needs to be done?

It's been a while since I looked at that (even though it would be really
cool to get this working).

When I did start looking at it, I went about it the wrong way -- setting
up tomcat to compile the jsp code to .so immediately.  Unfortunately,
tomcat has many built in assumptions about the compiler generating
.class files which it then manipulates (or just moves around, I think).

It makes better sense to do this in baby steps.  First get tomcat to
compile jsp code to bytecode with 'gcj -C' and have everything work with
the gcj interpreter.

Once that all works, perhaps we can figure out a good way to compile the
.class files to .so.  I'm thinking this should be an extra step once the
.class file is copied into the desired location by tomcat.

It would be great if somebody (like you!) could spend a little time
trying to get this to work.  I'd be happy to help this person (like
you!) along.

AG

* Re: tomcat 4 jsp compilation status?
@ 2002-04-29  6:56   ` Don Smith
From: Don Smith @ 2002-04-29  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Green; +Cc: rhug-rhats

A few questions,
1. From what i've read servlets seem to work, is this so, and if so how.
I ask because it seems that if servlets work then jsps should be not to
complicated as long as i can compile them to .class servlets
2. what version of gcj should i use to try and compile tomcat, is 3.0.4
new enough or do i need the 3.1 branch
3. has any of this been tried with tomcat4 or just 3.3
4. does the connection to apache work? and if so what connector should i
use? does mod_jk work as well

many thanks

don smith

@ 2002-04-29  7:08     ` Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2002-04-29  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Don Smith; +Cc: rhug-rhats

On Mon, 2002-04-29 at 06:54, Don Smith wrote:
> 1. From what i've read servlets seem to work, is this so, and if so how.
> I ask because it seems that if servlets work then jsps should be not to
> complicated as long as i can compile them to .class servlets

Just compile and install tomcat from rhug.  I don't think the install
procedure is very sophisticated right now.  Find the directory where the
webapps are supposed to be and compile then servlets to .class or .so
files.  It should really be that easy.

> 2. what version of gcj should i use to try and compile tomcat, is 3.0.4
> new enough or do i need the 3.1 branch

You will definitely need the tools on the 3.1 branch.  It won't build
with anything older anymore (compiler options have changed names, for
instance).

> 3. has any of this been tried with tomcat4 or just 3.3

Just whatever is in rhug right now.  I'd like to get upgrade this to
tomcat4 once we get jsp working.

> 4. does the connection to apache work? and if so what connector should i
> use? does mod_jk work as well

Nobody has tried this yet.

As you can see, this is mostly uncharted territory.  I think it has
great potential if we can get it built/working and easy to install.

Thanks!

AG

* Re: tomcat 4 jsp compilation status?
@ 2002-04-29 13:06       ` Don Smith
From: Don Smith @ 2002-04-29 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Green; +Cc: rhug-rhats

I've had some trouble building tomcat, in that it states..
/upstream/src/share/org/apache/jasper/compiler/JspUtil.java:79: Class or
interf
ace `javax.xml.parsers.ParserConfigurationException' not found in import.
   import javax.xml.parsers.ParserConfigurationException;
          ^
./upstream/src/share/org/apache/jasper/compiler/JspUtil.java:155: Type
`Document
BuilderFactory' not found in the declaration of the local variable
`docFactory'.
            DocumentBuilderFactory docFactory = DocumentBuilderFactory.
               ^
./upstream/src/share/org/apache/jasper/compiler/JspUtil.java:159: Type
`Document
Builder' not found in the declaration of the local variable `builder'.
            DocumentBuilder builder = docFactory.newDocumentBuilder();
               ^
./upstream/src/share/org/apache/jasper/compiler/JspUtil.java:171: Type
`ParserCo
nfigurationException' not found in the declaration of the local variable
`ex'.
        } catch( ParserConfigurationException ex ) {
                    ^
4 errors
make: ***
[upstream/src/share/org/apache/jasper/compiler/BaseJspListener.lo] Err
or 1

now i thought jaxp was a part of gcj, but just to be safe i tried
compiling xalan and got the following error

gcj3 -C --encoding=8859_1
--classpath=upstream/src:./../xerces/upstream/src:./..
/BCEL/upstream:./../cup/upstream:./../gnu.regexp/upstream/src:./upstream/src
-O2
 -d upstream/src
upstream/src/org/apache/xml/dtm/ref/CoroutineSAXFilterTest.java
upstream/src/org/apache/xml/dtm/ref/CoroutineSAXFilterTest.java:67: Type
`org.ap
ache.xml.serialize.XMLSerializer' not found in the declaration of the
local vari
able `trace'.
       org.apache.xml.serialize.XMLSerializer trace;
       ^
1 error
make: ***
[upstream/src/org/apache/xml/dtm/ref/CoroutineSAXFilterTest.class] Err
or 1

I just want to get things working before i mess with them, any ideas as
to what the problem is?

@ 2002-04-29 13:25         ` Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2002-04-29 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Don Smith; +Cc: rhug-rhats

On Mon, 2002-04-29 at 13:04, Don Smith wrote:
> I've had some trouble building tomcat, in that it states..
> /upstream/src/share/org/apache/jasper/compiler/JspUtil.java:79: Class or
> interf
> ace `javax.xml.parsers.ParserConfigurationException' not found in import.
>    import javax.xml.parsers.ParserConfigurationException;

Did you build everything in rhug before tomcat?  It depends on xerces,
for instance, which must be built prior to building tomcat.

> now i thought jaxp was a part of gcj, but just to be safe i tried
> compiling xalan and got the following error

jaxp is provided by xerces.  Try building xerces first.

AG

* Re: tomcat 4 jsp compilation status?
@ 2002-04-30  6:53   ` Don Smith
From: Don Smith @ 2002-04-30  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Green; +Cc: rhug-rhats

The latest problem with the install is that i get this error, since it
is around the --resource tag i was wondering if maybe this had something
to do with the syntax change

/mkinstalldirs `dirname
upstream/src/share/org/apache/jasper/resources/messages
.o`
gcj3 --resource `echo
upstream/src/share/org/apache/jasper/resources/messages.pr
operties | sed "s/.*\/src\/share\///g"` -o
upstream/src/share/org/apache/jasper/
resources/messages.o -c
upstream/src/share/org/apache/jasper/resources/messages.
properties
gcj3: cannot specify -o with -c or -S and multiple compilations
make: *** [upstream/src/share/org/apache/jasper/resources/messages.o]
Error 1

@ 2002-04-30  7:25     ` Anthony Green
       [not found]       ` <3CCEB932.304@umdnj.edu>
From: Anthony Green @ 2002-04-30  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Don Smith; +Cc: rhug-rhats

On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 06:52, Don Smith wrote:
> The latest problem with the install is that i get this error, since it
> is around the --resource tag i was wondering if maybe this had something
> to do with the syntax change

That sounds right.  What does gcj --version say?

Try...

$ gcj --resource foo -c -o foo.o ANY_FILE_HERE

This makes the file ANY_FILE_HERE readable by the runtime as the URL
"core:/foo".

AG

* Re: --resource problems (Was: tomcat  jsp compilation status?)
       [not found]           ` <87d6whaza6.fsf@creche.redhat.com>
@ 2002-04-30 11:17             ` Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2002-04-30 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: Don Smith, rhug-rhats, java

On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 10:09, Tom Tromey wrote:
> In particular if this is broken on the 3.1 branch we must know
> immediately so we can fix it.  As far as I know it works; I tested it
> before checking in the --resource change.  If you know of a failing
> case, please send details and I will look at it today.

It works on the branch.  He's using the trunk.

AG