public inbox for rhug-rhats@sourceware.org
* more bugs
@ 2002-12-18 16:41 Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2002-12-18 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rhug-rhats

I got BCEL to build by changing the top-level build order.
Also I had to change the top-level configure to know that
jakarta-regexp now has its own configure script.

Now I get the appended.

There doesn't appear to be a `de' directory anywhere in rhug.

I'm hoping someone out there can volunteer to make rhug build cleanly
with the latest cvs gcj.  The gcj 3.3 release is coming up, and
unfortunately at this point it looks like I'll barely be able to keep
up with it -- I probably won't have time to fix the rhug problems I
keep hitting.  I'd really like to have building rhug be a release
requirement for gcj, but I can only do that if rhug is in fact
buildable...

Tom

Making all in xalan
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/tromey/gnu/rhug/build/xalan'
gcj -C --encoding=8859_1 --classpath=upstream/src:../../rhug/xalan/../xerces/upstream/src:../../rhug/xalan/../BCEL/upstream:../../rhug/xalan/../cup/upstream:../../rhug/xalan/../gnu.regexp/upstream/src:../../rhug/xalan/upstream/src -O2 -d upstream/src ../../rhug/xalan/upstream/src/org/apache/xalan/xsltc/cmdline/Compile.java
../../rhug/xalan/upstream/src/org/apache/xalan/xsltc/compiler/Constants.java:66: error: Class or interface `de.fub.bytecode.generic.InstructionConstants' not found in import.
   import de.fub.bytecode.generic.InstructionConstants;
          ^
../../rhug/xalan/upstream/src/org/apache/xalan/xsltc/compiler/Constants.java:68: error: Superinterface `InstructionConstants' of interface `org.apache.xalan.xsltc.compiler.Constants' not found.
   public interface Constants extends InstructionConstants {
                                      ^
../../rhug/xalan/upstream/src/org/apache/xalan/xsltc/compiler/XSLTC.java:89: error: Class or interface `de.fub.bytecode.classfile.JavaClass' not found in import.
   import de.fub.bytecode.classfile.JavaClass;
          ^
../../rhug/xalan/upstream/src/org/apache/xalan/xsltc/compiler/FlowList.java:76: error: Type `InstructionHandle' not found in the declaration of the argument `bh' of method `<init>'.
       public FlowList(InstructionHandle bh) {
                       ^
../../rhug/xalan/upstream/src/org/apache/xalan/xsltc/compiler/FlowList.java:85: error: Type `InstructionHandle' not found in the declaration of the argument `bh' of method `add'.
       public FlowList add(InstructionHandle bh) {
                           ^
../../rhug/xalan/upstream/src/org/apache/xalan/xsltc/compiler/FlowList.java:112: error: Type `InstructionHandle' not found in the declaration of the argument `target' of method `backPatch'.
       public void backPatch(InstructionHandle target) {
                             ^
../../rhug/xalan/upstream/src/org/apache/xalan/xsltc/compiler/FlowList.java:116: error: Type `BranchHandle' not found in the declaration of the local variable `bh'.
   		BranchHandle bh = (BranchHandle)_elements.elementAt(i);
                   ^
../../rhug/xalan/upstream/src/org/apache/xalan/xsltc/compiler/util/Type.java:290: confused by earlier errors, bailing out
make[1]: *** [upstream/src/org/apache/xalan/xsltc/cmdline/Compile.class] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tromey/gnu/rhug/build/xalan'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

* Re: more bugs
@ 2002-12-18 17:18 ` Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2002-12-18 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: rhug-rhats

On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 16:41, Tom Tromey wrote:
> There doesn't appear to be a `de' directory anywhere in rhug.

We're in the middle of rev'ing many of the packages in rhug.

The "de" package comes from the old version of BCEL.  It has since
changed to org.apache.something since the Apache group took over
maintenance for BCEL.

Xalan needs to be rev'd now, but that depends on rev'ing Xerces, which
is stuck on this org.xml/org.w3c problem in the current gcj sources.

Can I submit a libgcj patch to simply extract org.xml and org.w3c into
their own libraries and leave it at that for now?

AG

* Re: more bugs
@ 2002-12-18 17:23   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2002-12-18 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Green; +Cc: rhug-rhats

Anthony> We're in the middle of rev'ing many of the packages in rhug.

Ok.

Anthony> Xalan needs to be rev'd now, but that depends on rev'ing
Anthony> Xerces, which is stuck on this org.xml/org.w3c problem in the
Anthony> current gcj sources.

Somehow I knew this would come back around to me :-)

Anthony> Can I submit a libgcj patch to simply extract org.xml and
Anthony> org.w3c into their own libraries and leave it at that for
Anthony> now?

This is one of the major issues for 3.3.
Could you call me?  Now is good...

Tom

* Re: more bugs
@ 2002-12-18 17:52   ` Dhek Bhun Kho
From: Dhek Bhun Kho @ 2002-12-18 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rhug-rhats

Hi Anthony,

Op do 19-12-2002, om 02:19 schreef Anthony Green:
> Can I submit a libgcj patch to simply extract org.xml and org.w3c into
> their own libraries and leave it at that for now?
Good idea. :D By the way, have you tried to get ant working yet? I
posted some list and things. I found out later that you can also make
dependency lists for Makefiles, but gcj fails that on me. So I can't
help you out with that.

Furthermore Ant is severely broken at the moment. Somehow all the
whitespaces get contracted, e.g:
"-d:pserver arg arg arg"
gets interpeted as "-d:pserverargargarg".

I haven't traced this problem yet. Xerces and xalan aren't very useful
without any programs using it.. ;) Do you need any help with anything?

Greets, bhun.

* Re: more bugs
@ 2002-12-18 18:28     ` Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2002-12-18 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: rhug-rhats

On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 17:23, Tom Tromey wrote:
> This is one of the major issues for 3.3.
> Could you call me?  Now is good...

I just tried and left a message.   Call me on my cell.  I'll just be at
the hotel tonight.

AG